Help on implementing quite old infrastructure on to Omada SDN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-02-27 19:29:02 - last edited 2022-03-03 07:24:02
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello all and thank you for your interest in this topic that goes like this.

I have a complete setup of an Omada SDN built out of a ER-605 (TL-R605), a TL-SG2428P switch L2+, and about 16 EAPs of different kinds.

On to its topology, I have three different networks, one is the LAN that's basically the management VLAN of 1, another two other networks with different VLANs, DHCP servers on them, and of course a port profile for each of them. Setting up the EAPs SSIDs on different VLAN works fine if the EAPs are directly connected to the TL-SG2428...

Now the twist...
I've connected an old Allied Telesis L2 managed switch, the AT-8000s/24 POE switch. While the uplink on the switch stays on VLAN 1, I can get clients to connect on to the management network.

I think the uplink port on the AT-8000s, should be a trunk port, so this raises a question.

I intent to connect an EAP to one of that switches ports. How should that port be set up?

UPLINK (AT) (trunk) ---- EAP_PORT (AT) (trunk)

or 

UPLINK (AT) (trunk) ---- EAP_PORT (AT) (untagged)

The topology will be as follows:

TP-LINK port -----> AT-8000s uplink port ----->AT-8000s some_port ----> EAP port ----> different SSIDs on different VLANs.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Help on implementing quite old infrastructure on to Omada SDN-Solution
2022-02-28 08:34:40 - last edited 2022-03-03 07:24:02

@laurentiu907 On your AT-8000s, the uplink port and downlink port(to the EAP) should be trunk port in all VLAN. The EAP port is a trunk port automatically once you set up SSID VLAN ID on it. 

So UPLINK (AT) (trunk) ---- EAP_PORT (AT) (trunk)

But we also need to concern the tplink switch downlink port(to your AT8000s). The default profile "ALL" may not contains all VLAN with Tagged. You will need to add the netowrks you created as Tagged then apply this profile to the downlink port. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Help on implementing quite old infrastructure on to Omada SDN-Solution
2022-02-28 08:34:40 - last edited 2022-03-03 07:24:02

@laurentiu907 On your AT-8000s, the uplink port and downlink port(to the EAP) should be trunk port in all VLAN. The EAP port is a trunk port automatically once you set up SSID VLAN ID on it. 

So UPLINK (AT) (trunk) ---- EAP_PORT (AT) (trunk)

But we also need to concern the tplink switch downlink port(to your AT8000s). The default profile "ALL" may not contains all VLAN with Tagged. You will need to add the netowrks you created as Tagged then apply this profile to the downlink port. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Help on implementing quite old infrastructure on to Omada SDN
2022-03-02 12:31:48

@Somnus - thank you so much! You were right! It worked right away. Kudos!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 379

Replies: 2

Related Articles