Choose DNS server with OpenVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-03 03:21:41
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have my TL-R605 set up with the OpenVPN protocol. I also have redirected my local traffic through DNS servers that I specified and not the default ones from the ISP. So when I connect to my network locally, it uses the DNS servers I specified, but when I connect via VPN it does not. Any idea how the DNS servers are specified for the VPN traffic and if there is any way I can get it to go through the DNS servers I want?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Choose DNS server with OpenVPN
2022-03-03 05:38:25

@clemsongt Currently I can't see any method to let VPN clients use the local DNS server.

We can only modify the WAN settings DNS and from my test the VPN clients will use this DNS server. However it doesn't make sense if your DNS server is in the local. 

Somehow I think it may work:

If your tplink router is connected to another Modem Router, and gets local IP address as WAN IP. Then you can link the DNS server to the Modem, so the DNS server and tplink router WAN IP are on the same subnet and can communicate.

Then set up the DNS server IP on the tplink router WAN port.

I didn't test it, just answer by guess.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 751

Replies: 1

Related Articles