Disable NAT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Disable NAT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Disable NAT
Disable NAT
2022-03-09 14:41:57 - last edited 2022-03-10 17:35:56
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20220114 Rel.76871

Failover on these is very hard on internal devices with already established streams.  Basically it is a terrible experience unless you reboot the devices, force a wifi reassociation, or reboot the router.    

I have this setup with 2 ISPs using load balancing and failover.     

I had this setup before with a Cisco ISR and had a similar experience there initially.  the way i resolved it was running a single layer 2 transit network for both next hop ISP connected routers and  not running nat on the failover router.   I had OSPF running but i could do it with just static routes on the next hops w/o issue.  I would still be running that setup but I have upgraded the circuits and i would need big iron on the Cisco side to get the through put of the new connections.   

This little box is plenty fast but seems to be limited on how you can set it up for this purpose.  

There does not seem to be a way to do this or something similar that I am finding.    

Also there is dosent seem to be a way to configure the tracking frequency of the wan connections - they seem quite long right now 30-45 seconds before it notices its down.   

Options
2 Reply
Re:Disable NAT
2022-03-10 11:31:11

@Fuzzy_EA 

For this function, my understanding is that there is nothing that can be done for a session that is currently stuck or in progress.
It's like when you are downloading a file and you unplug the cable, the file will immediately show that the download has failed and when you plug the cable back in, you need to download it again.
I don't know there is anything you can do about a currently stuck screen or a session in progress unless you refresh the screen.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Disable NAT
2022-03-10 17:32:55 - last edited 2022-03-10 17:36:36

@Virgo thats what i am noticing.     all of my IOT devices like plugs and Echos etc hate it on failover.  PCs seem to mostly Handel it.   Its why i removed the nat on my last failover router  - with that removed and just the tracked routes changing - it fails over fast and easy and the devices reconnect just fine.    

its really too bad.    I was hoping there was going to be a way or a hack around it. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 656

Replies: 2

Related Articles