TL-R605 Policy based routing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-09 16:10:19 - last edited 2022-03-14 12:29:59
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ER605(UN)_V1_1.2.0 Build 20220114

Hi Guy's,

I'm new to this and i'm pretty happy with my new TL-R605. I saw this cool feature that you are able to do some policy routing. This seems pretty cool to me and i want to apply that. How ever i get the sense that this is only for lan to wan trafic. What I need is the router to do some enforced routing. So that i can force clients in a specific ip range to use a second dns server, other then my primairy.

[dns server 1] [dns server 2]

|                       |

[ dhcp clients] [specific ip ]

How can i achieve this? Is that a Nat rule or is it policy routing. i'm a bit lost here

Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-R605 Policy based routing
2022-03-10 08:36:39

Dear @TL-R605

TL-R605 wrote

I'm new to this and i'm pretty happy with my new TL-R605. I saw this cool feature that you are able to do some policy routing. This seems pretty cool to me and i want to apply that. How ever i get the sense that this is only for lan to wan trafic. What I need is the router to do some enforced routing. So that i can force clients in a specific ip range to use a second dns server, other then my primairy.

[dns server 1] [dns server 2]

[ dhcp clients] [specific ip ]

You can try to create multiple VLAN interfaces and then choose to send different DNS servers when assigning IPs to different interfaces.

You can type in your own DNS Server in the corresponding interface.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-03-10 09:11:35 - last edited 2022-03-10 09:12:22

Awesome, i'll look into that. Thank you   @Hank21 

how ever i'm not sure if this is what i'm looking for. Since i want to separate the dns requests from my chromecast. But the chrome cast still needs to be in the same network for the simple casting function. also it's attached via an wlan acces point. so (without looking into it yet) that would mean that i should be able to assign vlan on mac address or something a like. and i guess that is also not the case on how normal vlans work.

in the past i had a router running on dd-wrt and there i was able to add a firewall rule that looked something like this

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -m mac --mac-source 45:03:b8:10:99:e3 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 192.168.2.252:53

so if a request from my chromecast came in, it would redirect it to my secondary dns server. My line of thought was that policy based routing would do something similar. but i'm not getting it to work so i guesi'm wrong there.

Options
2022-03-10 17:45:06

@TL-R605 i do this but i use a internal DHCP server to do and just have IP reservations for those devices.  

At least in standalone mode i would causion you against vlans.  it can set them up and even trunk them but .... it wont run the SVIs for those networks - so  there is no gateway on the other vlans unles you run another router and then setup static routes between it and your main router.   Its not a very good design or implementation.  

This may be better if you can get their software controller to work  -  jsut my experience on standalone.   

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 897

Replies: 3

Related Articles