How do you replace a gateway or controller?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-12 01:37:47 - last edited 2022-03-12 01:38:58

Reading the specs on the ER605v2, there are definitely some benefits to upgrading a few of my installations.  Anyone have a clue how that works?  How do you swap a gateway in Omada-world?  Same goes for the controller. I assume in the case of the controller, I take a backup and restore it to the replacement controller (outside of Omada)... but the router? Thoughts?

Thank you!

Options
4 Reply
Re:How do you replace a gateway or controller?
2022-03-12 12:18:19

@BLite 

I think it should go pretty well, forget the old router and adopt the new one, all settings should be stored in the new controller software, but remember the backup before you do anything.

I have tried to get some ER605V2 but only get v1, where can I buy v2 routers?

Options
2022-03-14 01:53:40

@BLite 

Far as I know, V2 is not available on any platform. I do see some screenshots from the TP-LINK mentioning V2. But, nowhere can find the V2.

About the upgrade, if you own a controller, settings are saved on your controller instead of the router. Unless you use the standalone, you backup and restore. 

Options
2022-03-14 02:27:52

@John1234 

Hmmm... well, I hope it ships soon - the advertised increase in VPN performance would be nice. 

Regarding the replacement... I guess I don't understand the logistics. 

I understand the configuration is stored in "Omada"-land... but... how do you tell it a given device is a given device?  

For example:  I have 6 switches with different configurations. If switch "basement" dies, how do I add a new switch, adopt it, and tell Omada that it is "basement"?

Same thing for the router... there's nothing "wrong" with multiple routers on a network... so presumably Omada is going to adopt a new router as a new router - not a replacement for a router I've taken offline. 

I guess that also goes for Access Points - I just don't do much configuration of individual APs... so configuring one from scratch isn't a big deal. I see nothing in the Omada docs on how to replace a device. 

Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone know if it actually works at all?

Options
2022-03-14 08:37:08

@BLite 

The basic config is still there. Your LANs, VLAN is still there. You just need to place this new switch in the right place and configure it accordingly.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1420

Replies: 4

Related Articles