EAP615-Wall(US) Rx Packet Loss on Radios

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-17 17:57:36
Model: EAP615-Wall  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.02

I have 4 EAP615s connected to a TL-SG3428MP v2.0 Gig PoE switch, and am not getting the throughput on the wireless side I was expecting.  Seeing about a 3-5% Rx loss across all 4 APs on 5GHz, and 20-50% on 2.4 GHz.    0 Tx packet loss on all AP's on either radio.  I had them connected to an older 100Mb PoE switch while waiting for the TL-SG3428MP to show up, and was hoping that would eliminate the loss, and it has made it better, at least on the 5GHz side.  There are fewer clients on 2.4, and they ones that are don't use much data, so that may be related to the higher error rate.  Looking for some guidance on where to start troubleshooting this.  Not getting the throughput gains I would have thought I would get moving from WiFi 5 devices to these.  Is there any way to track the error rate down to a client in the controller software??

Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP615-Wall(US) Rx Packet Loss on Radios
2022-03-18 02:41:11 - last edited 2022-03-18 02:49:21

@ChargerDad 

Radio frequency loss has nothing to do with the PoE switch. It should be your environment. If you have a lot of WiFi, radio-related devices, you will have interference. What you can do at this point is to modify the channel. (Mostly, it's about Tx loss)

If you have trouble with the speed, fix the channel to the max channel you have. Smaller channels mean lower speed. There is not enough bandwidth for smaller channels. BTW, 5GHz can get faster speed but is weak to travel far and have loss when penetrating objects. 

If you don't experience any wifi issues, that should be fine. Rx loss also indicates that your device may not receive the packets so that is considered as Rx loss. Consider turning on RSSI threshold to allow the controller to kick the clients out when they have a weak signal. 

PS:

The monitor panel illustrates the active channel information on each radio band, including the EAP’s operation channel, radio mode and channel utilization. Four colors are used to indicate the percentage of Rx Frames (blue), Tx Frames (green), Interference (orange), and Free bandwidth (gray).

Source: UG 6. 4. 2 Monitor EAPs

If you don't have large orange section, that's very okay to use. 

Options
Re:EAP615-Wall(US) Rx Packet Loss on Radios
2022-03-18 13:16:56

@John1234 

Thanks for your insight!  I am migrating from a few LInksys devices running OpenWRT to these units.  On the Linksys devices, I ran 2.4 and 5.0 on separate SSID's, and to be honest, didn't really pay attention to the error rate because I didn't notice issues as a user, and it wasn't on a nice panel and so visible like it is in Omada.  My logic on the error rate on the 100 meg PoE switch was simply that I was driving higher throughput on the wireless side than the wired side could handle, and thought that might be responsible for some of the errors, though I think now that logic was flawed.  My error rate 5 GHz clients seems to have gotten a little better on the new switch though, it's now in the 3-7% ranage, while the 2.4 GHz network is in the 20-60% error rate range.  I think turning on RSSI here may help as that will likely kick some of my 2.4 GHz clients that don't support roaming onto an AP with a stronger signal.  I am going to start there with the 2.4 network and see if I can drive down the error rate.  I'm not 100% certain what "normal" is, but doing to try doing what I can to drive the error rate down. 

When tracking these down, is there any way to see errors per client in Omada??

Options