Isolated EAPs showing up occasionally

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-17 18:57:12
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

In the mesh network, I have a controller and 8 APs. From time to time, the log shows that one or more EAPs are isolated. I am wondering if I can somehow find exactly what might be causing that. The most obvious reason would be a power failure. If the root AP was off, I can understand that all the APs would be isolated. This doesn't  happen. This is not a daily occurrance. 

When an AP becomes isolated, it appears in the log.

When it reconnects, I get a message on my cell phone.

The topology changes and I can't look at the downlinks and see any problem.

I usually see 2 or 3 APs isolated, but they recover and come back into the fold, so to speak.

No, I don't have any set to automatically reboot.

Any ideas on troubleshooting?  Or is this normal? So far, no one has complained.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Isolated EAPs showing up occasionally
2022-03-18 03:26:31

@Byteguy 

Hi, I'd suggest you run checks on signal strength between the Root AP to Mesh AP. Any value smaller than -70dBm is considered as weak signal. Weak signal could lead to packet loss(this leads to AP cannot reach the gateway). Consider relocating your APs.

Yes, keep a stable power is also important. You may try shorter cables if possible. But, if they operate okay and no power-off for some time, you should consider the mesh is interrupted due to distance or interefence.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-03-18 17:33:19

@Byteguy I can run a signal strength test, but the APs cannot be moved. If the signal strength is low, why is it that most of the time there is no problem. Seems to be intermittant. APs are really not all that far apart. Will look at power level on each. I understand that having every AP on high power can sometimes interfere with the signals. Had recently done firmware upgrade on the controller and had to reconfigure the whole mesh.

Can suggest to marina management that they have a way to monitor power at each transformer.

Options
2022-03-19 08:53:02

@Byteguy  I have exactly the same problem with one or two mesh access points, albeit they are not TP-Link heads (yet) but for 90%+ of the time they perform just fine in an external arena setting. However, occasionally one or both will lose connection for a short period but normally recover service without operator intervention.  This has been going on for a few years without much adverse comment. 

Originally I spent many hours trying to get to the root of the problem and eventually surmised that the signal linking the mesh units, whilst generally OK, could fluctuate under certain atmospheric conditions (weather & pressure) and lead to mesh drop-outs.

I, no longer worry about it - the situation seems to self-correct without issue.

Options
2022-03-19 14:50:34

@GaelForce I think you're right. I visited with the marina manager and he wasn't aware of any power fluctuations, but no one has been complaining about their connectivity.

One reason the wireless signal may be getting messed up is due to the nature of the installation. It's a marina. Lots of masts getting in the way of the signal, especially when it's windy and the boats are moving around.

Guess I won't worry about it unless the controller goes offline. Now that would have to be a power problem, but I had the management get a good UPS for the system.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 852

Replies: 4