EAP225 v3 intermittent throughput issues on 2.4 ghz with 5.0.7 firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-22 20:30:41
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.7

I have two EAP225 v3 Access Points running the latest firmware 5.0.7 Build 20211026.  Both APs exhibit intermittent bandwidth and/or throughput issues on the 2.4 ghz band at 20 mhz channel width.  A reboot of an AP temporarily resolves the problem, but the problem then returns after about 3 days of operation.  Both APs are directly connected to a TL R600VPN router through POE injectors.  I have tested two android tablets and a laptop connected to the APs, and they all experience the issues.

When the AP is working properly with full signal at the connected device, I can stream live HD video from a HDHomeRun Tuner to the device with no issues.  Pings of the connected devices are also very reliable and do not fail.  When the access point is exhibiting the issue after about three days of operation, streamed HD video stutters and stalls on connected devices, and pings of a connected device will fail frequently, but not always.  There is no indication that the devices are losing WiFi connectivity when the problem occurs, it is just that the traffic is not reliably getting from the wired Ethernet to the device over WiFi.

I have documented that this problem occurs on the 2.4 ghz band using 20mhz bandwidth, using channels 6 and 11 on the respective APs, but I am not certain it is limited to this configuration.

Given that I have two APs that are exhibiting the issue, that the issue is present regardless of what connected device I am using, and that a reboot of the AP solves the problem temporarily, this would seem to indicate a firmware bug or problem.

Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP225 v3 intermittent throughput issues on 2.4 ghz with 5.0.7 firmware
2022-03-23 06:35:53

Dear @alexonski ,

alexonski wrote

When the AP is working properly with full signal at the connected device, I can stream live HD video from a HDHomeRun Tuner to the device with no issues.  Pings of the connected devices are also very reliable and do not fail.  When the access point is exhibiting the issue after about three days of operation, streamed HD video stutters and stalls on connected devices, and pings of a connected device will fail frequently, but not always.  There is no indication that the devices are losing WiFi connectivity when the problem occurs, it is just that the traffic is not reliably getting from the wired Ethernet to the device over WiFi.

I have documented that this problem occurs on the 2.4 ghz band using 20mhz bandwidth, using channels 6 and 11 on the respective APs, but I am not certain it is limited to this configuration.

Given that I have two APs that are exhibiting the issue, that the issue is present regardless of what connected device I am using, and that a reboot of the AP solves the problem temporarily, this would seem to indicate a firmware bug or problem.

1. Is that OK on 5G band?

2. DId this issue happen after you upgrade the EAP's firmware version to 5.0.7?

3. May I know how often this problem is currently occurring?

4. You may try changing another channel and channel width to test.

5. Did you use the controller to manage them or in standalone mode?

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-03-23 07:05:35

@Hank21

Responses to your questions are as follows:

1. The problem only occurs on the 2.4G band with 20mhz channel width.  I have not been able to detect the problem at 2.4G at 40mhz or on the 5G band.

2. I first noticed the problem about 3 weeks after upgrading both EAP225 units to 5.0.7.

3. The symptoms begin about 3 days after a reboot of an EAP225 and continue until the next reboot.  I have done about 4 reboots so far with the same results.

4. As I noted above, one of the APs is on channel 6, the other on 11, and both exhibit the same issues.  I am in a single family home with plenty of distance to my neighbors, so there is little interference, and I have chosen the least crowded channels.

5. I have reproduced this problem using both an Omada software controller to manage the APs as well as operating the APs in standalone mode.

Options
2022-03-24 06:39:53

Dear @alexonski ,

alexonski wrote

Responses to your questions are as follows:

1. The problem only occurs on the 2.4G band with 20mhz channel width.  I have not been able to detect the problem at 2.4G at 40mhz or on the 5G band.

2. I first noticed the problem about 3 weeks after upgrading both EAP225 units to 5.0.7.

3. The symptoms begin about 3 days after a reboot of an EAP225 and continue until the next reboot.  I have done about 4 reboots so far with the same results.

4. As I noted above, one of the APs is on channel 6, the other on 11, and both exhibit the same issues.  I am in a single family home with plenty of distance to my neighbors, so there is little interference, and I have chosen the least crowded channels.

5. I have reproduced this problem using both an Omada software controller to manage the APs as well as operating the APs in standalone mode.

Our senior engineer has received your feedback on the issue via email, they will continue to follow up with your case.

If you have any additional information, please feel free to reply to the support email whose case ID is TKID220319468.

Many thanks for your cooperation and patience!

Thank you for your valued update on the case.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 674

Replies: 3

Related Articles