OMADA and Sonos - Best Practice

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-24 12:13:27 - last edited 2022-03-29 08:10:58
Model: SG2008P  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hi Folks,

I had some serious issues with SONOS Equipment connected to OMADA SDN, seems to be a common problem with any sophisticated network,
e.g. port blocking, loops, ...

I tried 2 approaches

A) All WiFi - meaning all SONOS Clients run on one of the WiFi provided by OMADA EAPs

B) Linked via SONOS Speaker / AMP - meaning 1! SONOS Client is wired, beeing the root of a seperate SONOS NET
C) Multiple Linked - meaning 2 or more SONOS Clients are wired, others connect via SONOS NET.

C)

P.i.t.A - causing multiple loops, port blocks...

A) 

Works as designed, but will definately put some traffic on WiFi

B)

Works best for me, but also caused some issues, sometimes port blocking, leading to disconnection of switches, readoption...

I have several questions - maybe we could use this thread to document good practices...

WIth B) 

Should all the SONOS clients appear in the client list? Obviously all got their IP-addresses via DHCP..., and I am pretty shure I had all of them in the client list, even in the history, funny enough, nothing visiable since I restarted the whole setup.

With B)

At the Moment all SONOS clients have to be in the same subnet as the managing app,

would be better to have them on a seperat VLAN, but then the managing app eg. on iPhone or Laptop will not find SONOS

With C)
Probably this can be solved with proper Spanning Tree Configuration, read about this in other Network Forums,
has anyone tried this configuration with success?

I researched this topic a little bit further, as it's more or less the same with other network infrastructure a lot has been documented already,
e.g. you may want to google
IngmarStein Sonos
Mike Connolly Sonos

Optimal Configuration Managed Network Sonos

(unfortunately the direct links to the relevant articles weren't accepted here ;-)

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:OMADA and Sonos - Best Practice-Solution
2022-03-29 08:03:07 - last edited 2022-03-29 08:10:58
I think I found a solution for B) SONOS creates Multicast / Broadcast Storms which randomly lead to port blockings on Uplink Ports rendering the whole network instable... My Solution: Profile Override on the Port SONOS is wired to... Storm Control enabled with Thresholds 128 kbps for Multicast and Broadcast. Action: Drop. Occasionally Storms are detected, the network works fine, SONOS works either.
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-03-29 08:10:32 - last edited 2022-03-29 08:11:11
And here's another Solution, more a Workarround: With any Setup: The SONOS client app expects SONOS in the exact same subnet as the client app... Meaning: The app won't find SONOS in case it's in a separate VLAN (which would be my favourite choice, e.g. having all speakers in an IOT VLAN, but mobiles in a COMMON VLAN). 3rd Party Clients linke SonoPhone / SonoPad work arround this deficiency, as the specific IP of a Root SONOS-Speaker, e.g. a SONOS Bridge can be provided, this works across Subnets.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
2022-03-29 08:03:07 - last edited 2022-03-29 08:10:58
I think I found a solution for B) SONOS creates Multicast / Broadcast Storms which randomly lead to port blockings on Uplink Ports rendering the whole network instable... My Solution: Profile Override on the Port SONOS is wired to... Storm Control enabled with Thresholds 128 kbps for Multicast and Broadcast. Action: Drop. Occasionally Storms are detected, the network works fine, SONOS works either.
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-03-29 08:10:32 - last edited 2022-03-29 08:11:11
And here's another Solution, more a Workarround: With any Setup: The SONOS client app expects SONOS in the exact same subnet as the client app... Meaning: The app won't find SONOS in case it's in a separate VLAN (which would be my favourite choice, e.g. having all speakers in an IOT VLAN, but mobiles in a COMMON VLAN). 3rd Party Clients linke SonoPhone / SonoPad work arround this deficiency, as the specific IP of a Root SONOS-Speaker, e.g. a SONOS Bridge can be provided, this works across Subnets.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:OMADA and Sonos - Best Practice
2022-07-28 09:37:52

@TGCleaner 

I have just moved over to Omada APs and noticing dropouts on any of my wifi connected devices, will be added some managed switches in over the weekend.

Are your solutions still working as you would like them to?

Options
2022-07-28 15:03:49

@wolvesphil 
Yes - no complaints - works fine ever since I set up the network as explained above.

Very seldom (once a month) one of my switches will block Sonos because of broadcast flooding,

that does no effect the rest of the network and Sonos also seems to take no negative effect,
so I would still recommend my solution as a suitable work arround.

Rgds, Tom

Options
2022-09-16 07:15:02

@TGCleaner I installed a ER605 Router recently, and since then I have noticed connection to spotify and amazon music is very unreliable when using Sonos.

Contemplating going back to my original router as everything worked fine on that...

Options
2022-09-21 14:12:48

Prior to using TP-Link switches which are compatible with Omada, I never had a problem with my 4 wired Sonos devices.

Once I added some switches, I started to get these problems.

My fix was to edit each port on each switch where a Sonos device is plugged into and changed the Profile Override on Loopback Control to Spanning tree.

I also had to do this for each upload port on of all the switches.

Main switch has 2 Sonos devices

Switch1 has 1 Sonos device

Switch2 has 1 Sonos device

That is, Main switch connects to 3 other switches.

Each other switch only connects to the main switch.

So each of these connected ports (switch to switch) were also set as per above.

Main Switch   - - - - - - - - - -  Sonos

/            |           \                   \           

/                |             \                   \

Switch1           Switch2      Switch3           Sonos

|                          |

Sonos                    Sonos

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3247

Replies: 6

Related Articles