Best practice for updating firmware?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-24 20:44:22 - last edited 2022-03-24 21:41:06

Hi I'm new to Omada hardware and have some questions about upgrading the firmware. I believe my hardware is running old versions right now.

Hardware:
Router: ER605 v1.0 [1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64608]

Switch: TL-SG2210P v3.20 [3.20.0 Build 20200730 Rel.32643]

AP: EAP245(Canada) v3.0 [5.0.3 Build 20210708 Rel. 35014]

Controller Software [5.0.30] running in Docker on Ubuntu Server.

Network Diagram:

I'm just wondering what the best practice is for updating the firmware. If I update through the controller portal at 192.168.0.xxx:8043, would it make a difference whether I was wired to the switch or running my laptop over wifi? Should I connect to the switch with a cable for the switch upgrade, then move my laptop so it's directly connected to the router for that upgrade?

I bought both the Router and AP from amazon.ca, but I bought the Switch from the US because I couldn't find it in stock. Is it only the Wireless Access points which have specific CAN/US Firmwares or is that the case with everything? And if so how do I check if my Router is on US or CA firmware (because I don't trust amazon and don't want to brick anything).

Lastly is there any way to automatically update firmwares without enabling cloud access? I don't need remote access when I'm away from home and it seems to me it would be more secure to leave it disabled

Thanks,
Dave

Options
2 Reply
Re:Best practice for updating firmware?
2022-03-25 13:05:00

@daithi

It is generally recommended that the PC running the controller is wired to a LAN network, after that the firmware can be updated in this topology.
And you need to make sure that you don't lose connection or power during the firmware update, which can happen if you have a WiFi connection.

As far as I know the only product you mentioned that has a CA/US distinction is the EAP.

And I'm afraid the SDN controller doesn't support automatic updates at the moment, but you can click on Check for Update and it will prompt you when there is one.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Best practice for updating firmware?
2022-03-25 13:42:16 - last edited 2022-03-25 23:29:32

Thanks for your reply  @Virgo

The server in the diagram above is hardwired to the router, however it's headless so I can't physically use the Omada interface on it.
I can easily connect my Laptop to the switch (or router) for the upgrade. I just can't figure out if it will affect the Switch's upgrade if I'm physically connected to it, or if I should be physically connected to the router for that part.

If I click Check on Update in the image you posted I just get a popup saying "Cloud access is not enabled."

EDIT: I upgraded the tag on my docker container and upgraded the Controller version to 5.1.7 from 5.0.x

Updating firmware without cloud access now appears to be working. I was able to upgrade the firmware on both the router and switch through the controller portal rather than manually.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 398

Replies: 2