Speed test on ER605

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Speed test on ER605

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Speed test on ER605
Speed test on ER605
2022-03-30 00:54:20
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0

I updated my ER605 to the latest firmware, along with updating my software controller to Linux version 5.1.7, but the periodic speed tests still don't work, and neither does the manual one.  I know the Firmware update notes said that the speed tests were fixed.  Am I missing something?  I have periodic tests enabled.

Thanks in advance.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Speed test on ER605
2022-03-30 07:04:11

Dear @Sephkeene ,

Sephkeene wrote

I updated my ER605 to the latest firmware, along with updating my software controller to Linux version 5.1.7, but the periodic speed tests still don't work, and neither does the manual one.  I know the Firmware update notes said that the speed tests were fixed.  Am I missing something?  I have periodic tests enabled.

To figure out the issue, I'd like to escalate your case to the TP-Link support team for further troubleshooting.

They will reach you via your registered email address shortly, please pay attention to your email box later.

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, I'd encourage you to share it with the community.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and support!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-04-02 17:46:10

@Sephkeene Did you end up finding a solution? I am in the same boat, running the controller on unraid, constant errors on the speed test.

Options
2022-04-02 17:59:34

@mharrison 

I'm working with support to see what we can figure out. I'll update the thread if we come up with something! 

Options
2022-04-05 23:17:53
Please keep us posted I have er7206 and I’m having the same issue
Options
2022-04-05 23:40:58

@tansuk 

No updates yet. I sent them logs last week and no replies yet. 

Options
2022-04-08 03:04:23

@mharrison @tansuk 

The answer I got was, that since I have an onsite DNS server, the WAN port can't resolve the name; www.speedtest.net

That's it.  I asked questions about why the WAN port can't use the ISP's DNS server to resolve the name, but I got the run-around.  The answer I got was that anyone with a custom (LAN side) DNS server, won't have these features available to them.  My devices on my network can resolve this address, but the WAN port can't query my DNS server (plugged directly into the gateway), so it can't resolve the name.

So, my take-away was, any small business or home business with their own DNS server shouldn't buy these products, because they won't perform as advertised, because the developers can't be bothered to implement their software in such a way that it will resolve IP addresses for services that advertises as selling features on their devices.

Options
2022-04-08 14:10:12

@Sephkeene 

It's just unbelievable and to be honest missing speed test is least of my issues.

No username/password with OpenVPN on both server and client mode and more importantly a hard coded Google DNS (8.8.8.8) with any VPN server config, regardless of what is set up makes it useless all sort of VPN options. I'm not even talking about, there is no way to see if the router is connected to any VPN when in client mode. 

I do agree with you, this is a premature system even for advanced home/small businesses. Disappointing. 

Options
2022-04-08 15:40:49

@tansuk 

Yeah, I have an OpenVPN VM that I use instead of the one in the router.  It affords way more customization and I can see under the hood as to what is happening.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3266

Replies: 9

Related Articles