IPTV on VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

IPTV on VLAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
IPTV on VLAN
IPTV on VLAN
2022-03-31 10:27:14

I have ER605 as a router, SG2008P connected to it, and want to connect IPTV box to the switch. My Internet provider (Telia) provides IPTV on VLAN 6. As I understand for this to work I need to configure the switch port, to which IPTV is connected as  PVID 6 and VLAN6 untagged. And to do that I need setup a profile for VLAN 6 to be used in port config.  And here is the problem -  if I try to create a profile - the IPTV VLAN is not available for selection. If I try to create VLAN I get error - VLAN already exists. 

So how do I configure Omada so IPTV can be connected to the switch, not directly to the router?

My config. IPTV page:

IPTV VLAN not available in Profile screen:

VLAN 6 can't be created:

Options
3 Reply
Re:IPTV on VLAN
2022-04-01 07:19:11

It looks like I was looking into the issue wrong. IPTV setting in the router creates an IPTV port which essentially can be treated as a separate device. To connect TV BOX to it, you need to create an isolated VLAN, so they can communicate directly. I created VLAN 666 and ended up in the following configuration. Everything works, but would be nice if someone more experienced in networking confirms this is the right config :)

Options
2022-04-01 11:37:22

@kalnas 

I did a test in standalone mode and found that after setting up IPTV, a VLAN entry is automatically generated and the uplink port is tagged and the downlink port is untagged.
This means that only unmanaged switches can be connected to the back, so it can not achieve the settings you describe, maybe.

Do you have multiple IPTV devices that need to be connected to the switch?
If you must connect to a switch, an unmanaged switch may be more appropriate.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-04-01 12:20:40

Virgo wrote

@kalnas 

a VLAN entry is automatically generated and the uplink port is tagged and the downlink port is untagged.

@Virgo Thanks for the confirmation, that is what I imagined is happening.  It is a pitty that there is no option that instead of using a dedicated downlink port, it could handle tagged traffic from LAN and route to appropriate IPTV VLAN on uplink.

Options