Omada SDN without Facebook Wi-Fi 2.0 code part?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-02 13:06:34 - last edited 2022-04-02 13:11:40

TP-Link, could you please release omada cloud software without Facebook Wi-Fi integration? It hits badly on trusting your software, as facebook can not be trusted, neither any of their services letting one wonder if you implement a backdoor for that specific company/branch. Just to see Facebook connected to anything connected with omada causes personally in me big distrust to a company pushing it, considered tp-link is chinese, I do not understand why at all do you waste time with anything Facebook where the number of those closing facebook account and simply not using it due to trust issues raises daily. Rebranding to Meta did not help the same wolf in sheeps clothes. Maybe it would have been more wise to implement mDNS, proper dynamic dns, curl options, wireguard, ... instead of Facebook connected code? The development efforts go instead into something that causes distrust in tp-link and offers nothing to I guess 99% of your users, especially for business line. Please release cloud software without any facebook related code or make it public so that people can create their own builds without those things which one does not trust/want to have.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada SDN without Facebook Wi-Fi 2.0 code part?
2022-04-04 14:49:25

@JFND I am sorry, but to judge on a code part according to instructions is wrong, if tplink publishes code, then one could see the code part and if it is harmless, everything else means "trust us, we are good" or even googles slogan "no evil".

There are only two ways, either remove or publish code, where in first case one would need once again a proof that the code is removed and not just disabled UI.

Can you or tplink employee from r&d and sales department explain why this code part is in their business line?

Options
2022-04-04 16:10:29

@Fae if consumer oriented code wanders into business line where there is no logic explanation of why would tp-link promote a branch of pentagon given the fact that as example Huawei was banned and their CEO arrested. Does it mean that tp-link prefers western companies as their partners which does include spying on own citizens, manipulation, forks etc... . Why does tp-link engage in that at all? Curiously, I never paid attention to your original software as I used always openwrt mainly due to trust issues and possible unwanted home calls just to find out that development strategy of tp-link is more than questionable in this regard. You bother and waste time to implement something that nobody requires or wants, I would also like to know if your omada software was audited, by which company as well where are the results published? If you involve anything from facebook, nobody can trust your words, publish the code instead if you really claim that tp-link strategically requires facebook cooperation or is there more nefarious reasons like sponsoring by facebook/meta/pentagon/cia/...?

Additional question to those in tp-link who take decisions. Huawei as example has huge share of users, especially in lte segment, how does it come that Chinese company tp-link did not think about integrating huawei apps/devices into omada? What about openwrt? What about any other company which is not involved with any gov or open source?

As long as you have facebook related code in your software, I will highly recommend NOT to use omada cloud and would probably refrain from further purchases of your business line as I have no clue if you do include backdoor's for some third party company, I am sorry, trusting is good, but only knowing works.

Options
2022-04-04 20:52:50

@Fae when installing omada sdn, you can ask user if he wants to install facebook addon and show all required infos like license etc., if a user chooses No which should be set by default, then facebook stripped version is installed. That as alternative to more simple variant, release also omada sdn without facebook addon. Is any of both possible?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 338

Replies: 5