Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

353 Reply
Re:Add local DNS server to ER605
2023-06-15 20:50:51

@snoop_doug @Fae 

This is not an alternative, it's a bad hack. The whole point of using an SDN is being able to have the configuration stored in software. I am not going to set up the DNS my home network with 100+ devices twice (home automation). And I am surely not going to reprogram all the automations based on IP addresses. The reason one buys Omada is being able to store the config and restoring it quickly when the hardware changes. As it is not possible to set up anything meaningful when this feature is missing, if effectively renders Omada useless. But it seems that @Fae is not quite understanding the implications. It's not like some minor issue, it's a huge product defect.

Options
2023-06-15 21:08:51

@jd001 

I wouldn't call it a bad hack, a work around. Especially if you want to run a separate DNS server anyway - it works pretty flawlessly. Enough to keep me happy while I wait.

But yes for many people they won't want the added complexity or overhead of running a DNS service.

Like many things it was probably a de-scoped feature to get the device to market. Firmware development is often slow/long cycles. It would be nice to at least get a sense of what priority local DNS is.

Options
2023-06-15 21:18:58 - last edited 2023-06-15 21:24:24

@_rob Do the DNS entries integrate with Omada? ie what if my router/the device the dns server fails, can I simply adopt a new device and it works? If you cannot answer this with 'yes', it is not working like Omada is supposed to work. This is exactly what you buy into when buying Omada gear. It is so obvious that I wonder why we even have a debate about some third party thing.

Also, this is not helping solving the real cause. It's things like these that leave TP-Link under the false impression that there is no urgency in fixing this, because they do not seem to understand that it is not some weird ER605 issue, it is affecting Omada as a whole.

Options
2023-06-15 21:23:46

@hammer86 To me what is crazy is that the router (I have an ER7206, same issue) is running a 7+ year old version of OpenWrt ... wow. Why not get it current, and then DNS is easy => just a package to install.

Options
2023-06-15 21:37:32 - last edited 2023-06-15 21:43:25

@jd001 

The DNS entries are built from the ER605s device name + DHCP list. So in that regard Snoop's solution is integrated. There's nothing to configure or change in two places etc.... Snoops solution is simply CoreDNS (which could very likely what tplink use anyway) with a plugin to periodically rebuild the DNS entries.

If I change the IP of a device or the name of it in my Omada Controller, Snoop's CoreDNS solution will reflect that as a DNS entry - I don't need to touch it. I just have to keep it running.

I'm not happy local dns is not included btw. When I first got the device I was actually pretty shocked/disgusted. But credit to @snoop_doug for creating a work around in his own time and offering an option/choice.

Options
2023-06-16 03:23:40

@aschmid - Well said.

@Fae - This... (aschmid's post)

This is such a rudimentary function that its absence literally affects the applicability of the entire Omada platform, leaving those who know of its absence to defect the brand; often entirely. That's a huge lost opportunity for @tp-link and potential direct impact on market share. If I have to break brand to solve such a basic functional issue and in turn lose management capability in Omada/the alternative, then I feel I have wasted lots of time and money investing in the Omada infrastructure. I am sure that is not tp-link's intent to leave their customers feeling as such. This is a business decision as much as it is technical.

While I do appreciate the update/affirmation of awareness, it would be nice to know if this is seen as a priority and at what level if so.

Thanks for always taking the heat out here @Fae! I know it can seem a thankless job.

Cheers,

C

Options
2023-06-16 03:48:37

@_rob @Fae 

No internet connection, no access to API, no updating of the list. Must work offline. Some devices do not provide proper hostnames. No simple exchange of hardware, how do you know the coredns plugin will be guaranteed to work in the future. If something fails for some reason, and higher monetary damage occurs in a professional scenario (business not operating), who is going to be responsible?

The list goes on. Sorry, I don't have time for that. It is marketed as business solution, please deliver business quality.

Options
RE:Add local DNS server to ER605
2023-06-16 03:56:09
The absence of this basic feature (local DNS resolver) renders the entire Omada platform untenable, and therefor leaving tp-link out of the list of brands to shop when seeking infrastructure solutions. I feel like I have literally wasted every dollar I spent (thousands) on my tp-link infrastructure. Please correct that by adding this basic functionality to the next firmware update of the ER605.
Options
2023-06-16 03:56:33

@cgh001 @Fae Taking the heat out is a very polite description for someone representing a company that took lots of money, but keeps ignoring imminent defects for months and shuts customers down with corporate bla bla. Seems to me the rooftop is burning but someone at TP Link is still sleeping.

Options
2023-06-16 04:29:03 - last edited 2023-06-16 04:30:16

@jd001 We need an upvote at the post level, as I'd give you one. Truth...

Options

Voters 236

+ 232 Voters