Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

Votes

Add local DNS server to ER605

353 Reply
RE:Add local DNS server to ER605
2023-10-24 13:34:07
Please also add this to the ER7212PC I now use the CoreDNS docker container as a workaround
Options
2023-10-24 14:03:53

Guys if you keep posting workarounds you are basically telling TP Link it's ok for them to take their time with this feature. Work arounds are not acceptable on enterprise grade solutions.

Options
2023-10-25 11:35:52 - last edited 2023-10-25 11:38:58

Everything is replaced and for sale now, located in Germany. Less than a year old, the wall APs are still in use but can be sold together. I am not waiting anymore for this cr4p.

Btw I figured you need to purchase the ER605 in order to have DHCP working with Omada. But when disassembling I figured the switch was still acting as the DHCP Server.. Scam. So you need to buy an additional router that technically does..nothing.

You can still use everthing properly outside of Omada, I decided to not buy TP Link anymore.

Options
2023-10-25 12:48:01

@jd001 

Sounds like you didn't know how to configure it properly.  If it didn't work FOR YOU, doesn't mean it can't work for others.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-25 12:53:13

@tokenize 

In normal Corporate I.T. infrastructure, you have an external DNS server away from the router.  It's usually not ran off the actual gateway.  So this isn't technically a workaround, its normal I.T. practices in most cases.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-25 12:58:31 - last edited 2023-10-25 13:04:28

@KimcheeGUN 

That is not the point. I also use an external DNS server on my deployments. But the router, where the DHCP server resides, must still be able to resolve local names so the DNS server can query it. That is the whole point. Or else I must make a manual mapping on the DNS server to the local names and update it with any change.

I want to be able to connect to my local devices with names and not IP addresses and I want to use the router DHCP. For that to happen, the only way is for the router to have a built in DNS server that can resolve local hostnames.

Also, jd001 just pointed out the switch is able to act as a DHCP server. What does that have to do with the local DNS topic that warrants you to reply saying that this solution may not be for him? Any system admnistrator needs a local name resolver. That is a basic feature...

Options
2023-10-25 14:31:49 - last edited 2023-10-25 14:34:24

@KimcheeGUN  I am an IT professional with more than 15 yrs of practical experience. Of course I know how to configure it properly, you just did not get the point at all.

In case of the DNS server, this might be true for huge companies, but Omada is explicitly marketed for use in small business, like hotels.

The DHCP server feature is marketed on the feature list of the managed switch, which is quite reasonable. The thing is, when all your devices are being managed via SDN, you cannot activate it UNLESS you buy a router, it is a software restriction. I did want to have the DHCP config within SDN (Omada), but I already had a cable router. Because of proprietary software restrictions of Omada I was forced to buy a router, obly to find out the switch acts as the DHCP server all on its own. So basically I was running a second router for no good reason.

Options
2023-10-25 21:53:36
This should have been implemented from day 1
Options
2023-10-26 14:50:44 - last edited 2023-10-26 15:18:04

@jd001 

I'm curious to see if you can sell that stack of equipment, as I have the exact same stuff and more - for sale because TP-Link expensively (for us customers) totally missed the boat and seem totally unconcerned that they're still standing on an empty shore. Empty is what their customer list should be until they right such an egregious oversight.

I moved to Peplink and am curious what you used to replace your TP-Link gear. I've been well down the Ubiquiti road, and it was great at first... but later they seemed to care little to nothing about customer experience either from my perspective; especially when support was validly needed.

Options
2023-10-27 09:20:59 - last edited 2023-10-27 09:25:02

@cgh001 I am a software developer and linux guy, so I took a Sophos SG and put latest OpenWRT on it (ER605 is based on an outdated version of OpenWRT..). Works like a charm, and since I have all devices integrated into one, it even consumes less power. The Sophos can be extended via flexible modules to 4x10Gbe SFP+ ports or more RJ45 ports if need be, which really is just PCI-Express in a weird mechanical constellation, so you can also buy cards from other manufacturers such as Checkpoint. I even upgraded the CPU so I have some additional hardware support for cryptography. Basically, it is just a plain PC in rack format. I am going to backup it using something like Veeam maybe, not sure yet.

For the WiFi, I am still searching, but I am going to take some standalone solution. Funny enough, now I could even run the Omada controller in software on my router to keep my TP-Link APs.

Options

Voters 236

+ 232 Voters