ER605 Configuration Assistance

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-11 02:27:39 - last edited 2022-04-12 07:27:41
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2

First of all, I am completely new to the world of edge routers.  I have dealt with the basic wireless routers for the last several years though so I have some knowledge, just not the amount I need to properly configure the ER605.  I believe I need to have two vlans, for for home and one for IoT devices.  I also run several self hosted applications that I need access to from the internet via port 443.  Below is shot synopsis of my setup.

I currently have a total of 3 routers in my network, the 605, an ASUS wireless router and an Aplifi wireless router.  The modem connects to the Wan port on the 605, the Asus and Aplifi are attached to the 605 via ports 2 & 4.  The Asus handles my home network and the Aplifi is for the IoT devices in my network.  The Asus and Aplifi servers as each network gateway and DHCP server.  This setup seems to work for the network separation, just not sure if vlans for each of the wireless routers would be better or not as they are connected directly to the 605 now right out of the box and it seems to keep them separated. 

Thanks,

Michael

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 Configuration Assistance-Solution
2022-04-12 07:26:09 - last edited 2022-04-12 07:27:41

Hi  @mbender 

Your configuration is good for common Internet usage. Only a few application may face issue because there is double-NAT. For example game console(like Xbox) may not able to create/join other player game etc.. 

If you want to use VLAN to seperate the network, you will need to put ER605 port 2 and 4 into different VLAN. Then the  Asus and Aplifi routers need to be confdigured to be Access Poiunt mode. This solution will solve the double-NAT issue since all network comes from tplink. 

It will be easier if you buy EAP to replace your wireless routers. EAP and ER605 all can be managed by Omada Controller and it will be easy to set up different networks. Here is an example video: https://youtu.be/-mkU3rI9coE

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:ER605 Configuration Assistance-Solution
2022-04-12 07:26:09 - last edited 2022-04-12 07:27:41

Hi  @mbender 

Your configuration is good for common Internet usage. Only a few application may face issue because there is double-NAT. For example game console(like Xbox) may not able to create/join other player game etc.. 

If you want to use VLAN to seperate the network, you will need to put ER605 port 2 and 4 into different VLAN. Then the  Asus and Aplifi routers need to be confdigured to be Access Poiunt mode. This solution will solve the double-NAT issue since all network comes from tplink. 

It will be easier if you buy EAP to replace your wireless routers. EAP and ER605 all can be managed by Omada Controller and it will be easy to set up different networks. Here is an example video: https://youtu.be/-mkU3rI9coE

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options