Bug report: OC200 can not handle hostname with underscore char.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-04-28 20:35:36 - last edited 2022-04-29 02:39:57
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.15.2 Build 20220323 Rel.60717

The latest firmware (1.15.2 Build 20220323 Rel.60717) no longer handles the default hostname of the OC200, which by default is formated as 'OC200' with the underscore character '_' and a mashup of the MAC appended.

So this: oc200_xxxxx [dot] lan

Worked on all prior firmware, but after upgrading to the latest today, it fails.

Since the error identifies the underscore, I added a static lease to my router with a hostname of 'OC200local'.

And now I can access the OC200 using this URL and all works fine: oc200local [dot] lan

Note: since the site disallowed actual URLs, add the usual prefixes to the above and remove extraneous spaces

So sensitivity to a special character that happens to be the default hostname for the unit is the bug.

An end-user workaround might be to rename their unit via the cloud UI to remove the underscore and request the unit reboot. Might also need to reboot the local router to flush caches. Have not tried this.

For completeness here is the error returned when failing:

[site will not allow me to post the contents of the return]

Here is the error message:  The character [_] is never valid in a domain name.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Bug report: OC200 can not handle hostname with underscore char.
2022-04-29 08:07:53

@RPMfan 

Need to confirm how you accessed OC200 via hostname before?
Where exactly was it set up?
Do you have a local DNS server?
Does this setup require a local DNS server to work?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Bug report: OC200 can not handle hostname with underscore char.
2022-04-29 12:18:43

@RPMfan 

Underscore is not a valid character to DNS hostname.

But, is not invalid until now.

Some time ago, http servers and other services start restricting use of _ on the hostname, making it a invalid character to hostname (domain name).

The recommended (valid) character for hostname are a-z,0-9, and - .  Dot (.) are reserved to domain separator. - can not used on start or end of hostname.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 353

Replies: 2