ER605 2 ISP Connections, Faster Speeds?

2022-05-09 13:27:40
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1

Hello,

I'm new to Omada, but so far really liking it...  I started out with a few outdoor AP's to extend my WIFI signal,  but now have just added a TL-SG3428X Switch and a ER605 Router...

I currently have a single ISP Connection but it's a 1.5G fiber connection.  So obviously my home setup bottleneck is going to be the 1G connections all over,  which is fine.  But was wondering,  We have a LOT of devices connected and using the internet at any given time,  2 of us Work from home, etc.  So my thinking is that at the moment, we can only utilize a MAX of 1G from the 1.5G Connection,  so what if I connected a second connection from the ER605 to the Fiber gateway,  would that allow the setup to utilize more of the connection then 1G?

Thanks for the help!

Options
5 Reply
Re:ER605 2 ISP Connections, Faster Speeds?
2022-05-10 05:55:30

@Nortron 

That won't work. Tplink router does not support link aggregation on WAN ports.

You will need to wait for a 2.5G WAN port router. I believe I saw somewhere that tplink will release new omada gateway this year and it will support 2.5G/10G ports

Options
2022-05-10 13:49:31

@Somnus 

Hello,  Thanks for the Reply..  Okay,  it won't support Link Aggregation,  but what about load balancing all the traffic over the two 1G connections to the gateway?  Wouldn't that help, and provide better bandwidth to all devices at any given time?  In theory, being able to actually use more then 1G from the gateway?

Options
2022-05-10 17:41:56

@Nortron from what you wrote, you did not speak about link aggregation/bonding, but instead as far as I understand, your ISP router can provide you more than one IP address (in bridged mode?), meaning that you can use your ISP router and connect it over WAN and LAN1/WAN1 on er605. Each of them can give you max. 1Gb, but both together should be able to give you 1.5Gb. If you already do posses er605, then you can easily test it's max. performance with iperf by running it on all ports at the same time. However, I am unsure how much you can get from LAN1/2/3/4, but I strongly believe er605 is capable of 1.5Gb load.

You speak actually about kinda balance-tlb/alb bonding and I see no reasons why it should not work, I use it by myself, my connections are just not 1G and I use it for stability and splitting home phoning device etc.. to use different ip address. The restriction is 1.5GB on your line/contract and ISP's router will not give you more regardless of how many ports you have, which means your internet will never be faster than 1.5Gbit unless you change your contract with your ISP. As example, if your ISP router has 4 LAN ports and you can get 4 IP addresses in bridged mode, you can connect all 4 of them as wan ports to er605. If you run then iperf with servers outside your network, you should see in sum 1.5Gb where in case of 4 lans and normal balancing, each would run at around 350Mbit/s (4*375Mbit/s -> 1.5Gb). That is the way how I use er605 and using all 4 lans gives not only 4 outer ip's which can be used and is usefull if one hosts any services.

If I understood you correctly, then the reply is yes, your network would use full 1.5Gb if er605's specifactions allow it, I do not have 1.5Gbit connections on any networks which use tp-link's hw, that's why I cant test.

If you have some pc around which supports bonding and has more than 1 LAN interface, you might like to read this: kernel dot org doc Documentation networking bonding.txt (links not allowed here, place / for space)

Options
2022-05-22 21:47:39

@btx 

Are you sure he can connect his ISP through multiple WAN ports with IP in the same IP subnet range that the ISP's modem provides?

Here on this forum I have read many times that we must avoid using the same IP pool for different WAN ports as R605 won't handle multiple WAN connections in the same pool.

(or is it just to avoid the exact same IP address given from multiple ISP connections?)

Anyway, if my concerns were right, there is still a work-around (not ideal but hey...), using a spare router in the middle for the second connection between the modem and the R605, in that spare router choosing LAN IP in different subnet range from the WAN1.

Btw, I don't see much usefulness of the R605 in a single ISP setup if he has an L2+ switch. What's the point (other than using the controller mode to integrate the Omada APs)? It even has a 10GE port but unfortunately not UTP to connect it to the modem.

Options
2022-05-23 12:52:49

@Arion I did not say anything about subnet and did not mention that wan ports get some local IP's, I was talking about a bridged mode, where ISP router provides direct connection without proxy and each connection gets own public ip, together max. 9 devices are allowed with my contract (9 means 9 different public ip's). er605 is capable to deliver only four, meaning that in this case two er605 can be used where they are connected with their LAN ports to third, but er605 is not perfect for that purpose, but it would work with it. I am using a pc with together 6 gbit ports bonded for that purpose, works fine. It is usefull, when you speak about usefull or not, you might consider comparing the costs, I considered er605 to be a great deal as most cheap consumer routers get less than 300Mbit on their wan ports, looking that way er605 is very usefull. Can you get something better? Sure, it costs just much more. Am I satisfied with er605? No, tp-link killed the excitement after er605 failed on a very basic function, it's dhcp was broken. Looking that way, er605 is not usefull at all, for the costs, er605 is too expensive as one has to spend many hours to get it working, valued few times of er605 itself. This means it is not usefull. You have two examples now which contradict each other but both are correct. I guess it is valid for everything, few hunderd years ago people found o1l to be not usefull today, today we humans know what we can do with o1l.

As previously mentioned, I was not speaking about connected wan ports to local subnet, but if you would do it or if you have two routers with same subnet, then you should change the subnet on one of those and everything would work, it would be double NAT'd on both, where double NAT is not always bad, but is as example very usefull for providing vpn services.

I've recently connected wirelessly two locations where both locations have ISP router, one has 500Mbit the other 100Mbit uplinks, together 18 public ip addresses, on both sides there is er605 which cover just 8 of 18, for other 10 a pc server is used. er605 does properly what it should do.

There are also few vpn providers which offer bonding in their vpn, this makes it easier for a Joe to simply use multiple wan's with purchasing expensive hardware and gathering required knowledge to configure it, where in real most do have always two wans, one is pc's normal connection and the other one is user's phone which can share its mobile connection. If it is worth the hassle, I do not know, but families of 3-5 people where everybody has 100Mbit contract means it is usefull.

PS: o1l is for some reason also forbidden forbidden, replace 1 with i.

Options