Install ER605 to replace current router, whats going to happen ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-04 17:48:09
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Just bought a ER605v2 to replace my current router. All the rest of my network is Omada based, with three switches, four AP's and an OC200 controller.

My question is, how best to got about replacing my old router with the new ER605 ?

If I just replaced my existing router straight off, nothing on the network would work e.g. My OC200 is on a management VLAN, and this would not be visible to a 'Just out fo the Box' ER605..., so would I have to do a partial setup in stand alone mode, then adopt it later once I've done the VLAN setup ?

Alternativly, if I just plug in one of the LAN ports of the ER605 into my existing network, will it get a DHCP address from the existing router, and then get adopted by the OC200 ? This would work no problem with an additional switch or AP, but not sure if the router will work in this way, since its the thing that should be handing out addresses....

Just interested to see if anyone has had experience of this suituation...

Options
1 Reply
Re:Install ER605 to replace current router, whats going to happen ?
2022-06-04 18:15:44

Think I have found a partial answer here : https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/3148/

But this is a simple 'noddy' example, with everyting on the same subnet. It does not explain how to do the setup if the OC200 controller is on a VLAN with a different subnet.

I use DHCP Option 138 to tell any new Omada devices connected to the nework where the OC200 controller is, but this is not going to work with the ER605 router because it is the DHCP server...

Options