ER605 Disconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 Disconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
122 Reply
Re:ER605 Disconnects
2022-12-30 14:07:29

@TPOllihome 

At least you know what your getting for Christmas and New Year

An outage.

Happy new year 🎁 

Options
2023-01-02 10:40:03

@TPOllihome 

Hi,

Agree ; this is extremely disappointing ; this kind of thing should not occur when using devices targetting the "business" market (even considering SMB/SOHO/ROBO).

As of now, I can only say that after rolling back to v1, everything is running fine for 11 days now.

If you can put your hands on one r605v1, it may be worth giving a try (unless you have requirements for IPSec VPN throughput and/or usb-attached 4G backup, both units seem similar).

Omada SDN has some migration process for migrating the gateway ; it helps a lot (even if the port naming scheme for mapping v1 to v2 and vice-versa is extrememy misleading).

Options
2023-01-02 20:47:16

Hello,

mine is coming from TPLINK seller @Amazon. Unfortunatly, they only deliver V2 since a few month. I can't ask for a return or exchange as it's almost sure i will receive another V2. I guess i ( we ) have to wait for a firmware update to solve this issue .

Options
2023-01-03 08:17:00

@caramb 

Hi there,

anything I could do ? Is there any support at tp-link or anyone who cares ?

It seems like it's not only me with that problem. Is it really sure that this ER605 is causing all that trouble ?

Thanks to Amazon I can give my two switches, router and two accesspoints back until the end of january. So I'm looking for some Unify solutions but that would be a hassle, too. 

I really would like to see the system running and maybe I change the 620HD to the new 770HD. But for now I have no clue what to do. 

Greetings,

Olli

Options
2023-01-03 08:27:00

Hi  @TPOllihome 

Everyone that has contributed to the thread has invested some time and effort. You can also raise an issue with tp-link and do it the formal way. The best resolution would be to identify the cause and fix it. At the moment no one knows what is causing the issue. I'm setting up a testbed to try and replicate the issue by loading up two ER605's connected via a VPM. And try break it with loading it up and whatever else comes to mind. If it can be reproduced at will it can be fixed. Trick is reproducing the issue. It seems everyone is settling for scheduled restarts, that's what I have done for now as well. Bit of a pain for sure. 

Anyone suggest any tests to try and reproduce?

Options
2023-01-03 10:21:21

@Lurk 

Hello,

On my side, I will bring back online the r605v2 in my homelab (while keeping the r605v1 as my "main" gateway).

I'm really wondering if it is not an hardware issue due to the fact it hangs randomly and because I also noticed the device gets surprisingly hot (given the fact overall traffic was low).

Will probably do the following :

1) r605v2 online without any client ; to check if it remains stable when idle.

2) Setup two small Linux VMs on two different vlans, having the r605v2 to perform inter-vlan routing ; then use iperf3 to generate ~1Gb/s traffic for a couple of hours.

I may also be able to move one VM on the WAN side.

Options
2023-01-03 13:01:27

Hello,

on my side, i wouldn't bet on gateway load as i'm using all the system in a home environment without heavy load/charge on that gateway, just a normal use of some wifi/iot/cabled devices , here is my topology : gateway pluged in a Freebox Delta ( Box from my ISP ), switch and 3 AP's to cover the house perimeter.

Options
2023-01-03 13:41:43

@OneBadGADawg 

Just ordered the TP-LINK ER7206. Will be delivered tomorrow and I hope the migrationtool from the omada software is able to migrate from ER605 to ER7206. 

I think it will be very interesting to see, if the network works as it should or.... whatever ;)

Anyone who would like to guess...?

Greetings,

Oliver

Options
2023-01-04 01:41:02

@TPOllihome 

Keeps us posted on what happens.

I am also considering changing the router to an ER7206 as it is "cheaper" to change the router than changing our whole networking equipment to a different brand. 

It is sad that we have heavily invested in this only to find out a firmware update will make the network unstable.

A scheduled weekly reboot is not a long term solution.

A 5-10min weekly downtime is not acceptable given that Omada is advertised as a Business/SOHO network solution which is intended for 24/7 operation.

I hope this gets fixed as this has been reported for 4 months already.

If you check the forum, there are lots of similar posts like this and I wonder why TP-Link hasn't noticed or acknowledged this bug.

Options
2023-01-04 10:55:34 - last edited 2023-01-04 10:56:26

Hi Guys,

i had some problems with the ER605 losing connection to controller too. Seems a bit different but perhaps it helps someone. Details in this threat.

Cheers!
Options