TP-Link routers with OpenVPN connecting to NordVPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-10 02:05:40 - last edited 2022-06-10 09:57:19
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20220117 Rel.74491

Does the openVPN client support connecting to NordVPN?

Options
15 Reply
Re:TP-Link routers with OpenVPN connecting to NordVPN
2022-06-13 08:28:06

@S0PH0S Nope. tplink routers don't allow to put in username/password on OpenVPN.

Basically tplink VPN router is designed for building a tunnel from client devices to small office, not for "hide my IP" usage.

Options
2022-08-10 22:06:32

@S0PH0S 

There is a way to include the username and password in the .ovpn file .  However, even when I do this, it does not work with Omada .  It works with every other OpenVPN client that I have tried .

Create a text file with username on the first line and password on the second line - if the text file is named auth.txt then you can put this line in the .ovpn file .

auth-user-pass auth.txt 

auth-user-pass should already be there - just add the name of the text file after that .

Options
2022-08-23 09:26:39

Hi

So as I understand from this post, I can not configre my ER7206 to connect to NordVpn. Correct?

Options
2022-08-26 08:36:11

@doryo 

From everything I have tried on my ER605 and what I have read in every source I can find - it will not work .

OpenVPN certainly will not work and NordVPN does not allow L2TP connections .

So, it looks like we have no choice but wait for TP-Link to update the firmware for OpenVPN to use passwords or add a protocol / configuration that is compatible with NordVPN .

I have contacted NordVPN tech support and they are almost WORSE than no help at all .  They kept having me try different configurations and things .  I sent them my config file that works with other OpenVPN servers .  I sent them a screen shot of the client configuration in Omada .  After a bunch of flailing around, they finally stated that since my client does not allow configuring the user name and password, it will not work on their server .  WOW, that is exactly the question that I asked them about 10 times during the exchange ...

Previously, I spent a WEEK inquiring to NordVPN support about low speed with my connections for dedicated IP address - I experienced - DOZENS of emails where they ignored my questions, kept giving me erroneous information, kept instructing me to perform irrelevant actions, then finally after all that, they said the speed was typical and no remedy is available .  I postulate that they should have known that from the beginning .

After that fiasco, I learned that the speed I am getting is VERY GOOD comparatively to other OpenVPN systems .   So, what a waste that was .

From my standpoint - their system works great - their support no .  

Options
2022-11-27 22:57:43

Well, since the new firmware update - I am able to input my credentials into the OpenVPN client and guess what ?

It still doesn't work .

I am trying to connect to my NordVPN server .

Other generic OpenVPN clients works with no problem .

What do we have to do to get this to work ?

Options
2023-02-09 01:00:44

@kablammy 

I have set my NORDVPN up and it does work but not with all NORDVPN servers.. some times it is hit and miss, some times it works for a few days and then I have to change servers to make it work again... not sure what the secret is... these same servers work fine when using the NORDVPN and vpn directly from the app...

Options
2023-02-09 11:12:29 - last edited 2023-02-09 11:21:12

@PeterAl 
You are the first person which I have seen who says that it worked .
Which router do you have and what version ?
I have the ER605 V.1 .  I have ordered a V2 .  I notice a firmware update for the V2 is out now .
There is a beta update for the V1 .
Did you get a recent update for your router ?
I am going to try it again and see if I can get it to work also .

Now, since I have a new ER605 on the way .  How do I remove the current ER605 and replace it with the new one ?
I will have to look around to find out how to do that .  I definitely don't want to have to manually reconfigure all the settings again .

Options
2023-02-09 17:31:44

@kablammy bro, i had a ER605 v2 but not working with ExpressVPN neither. Please let me know if you make it works

Options
2023-02-10 03:38:38

@S0PH0S 

I have tried PIA and it does not work either. This should not be this difficult to implement. I guess its time to keep pushing on TP-Link

Full Stack Home Lab (Wanting to move to VLAN next)

ER8411

TL-SG3428X

TL-SX3008F

TL-SG3210XHP-M2

2x EAP660 HD

Options
2023-02-10 06:02:36

@BLROTAN 

I did get the OpenVPN to work with a couple of free sites that did not require name or password .
However, it was bad throughput as you might imagine .
The ER605 V2 has a recent update that I was hoping would solve the problem .
I will find out when I get mine in a few days .
I will let you know .

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2772

Replies: 15

Related Articles