Setup for apartment complex

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Setup for apartment complex

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:Setup for apartment complex
2022-07-21 15:27:31

@Alex789 

For now, I have (for testing)

- OC200
- SF1016
- ER605
- cheap DLINK wifi accesspoint

Options
2022-07-21 15:44:34

@ArjanKS OK, now I see you did mention that.  I am not sure how I missed it.

There are some options in this situation.

Option 1: Use what you have

If you have an fully unmanaged switch, you can't pass multiple vlans through it.  However, you could plug your access point directly into a separate port on the ER605.  This assumes your access point supports VLAN tagging.  If it doesn't, this won't work.

There is one problem with this setup.  If you want any kind of isolation between your wired and wireless network, it won't work unless you put the ER605 in standalone mode and not use the controller to manage it.

As a side note, I am note sure why you would want the controller if the only Omada device you have is the ER605.  I guess to access cloud management?

Option 2: Get a managed switch

With a managed switch, you can now use VLANs properly, even if the access point doesn't support VLAN tagging.

You will still have the limitation where you will need to put the ER605 in standalone mode if you want any kind of internal network isolation.

Personally, I would not use option 2.  I think the other two are better choices depending on your budget.

Options 3: Get a managed switch that can be managed by the Omada controller

In this situation, everything should work since the ER605 and the switches will be managed by the controller.

If you want to isolate traffic, you can apply ACLs to the switch ports.

There are probably other options, but here are some to get you started.

Options
2022-07-21 17:26:38 - last edited 2022-10-13 11:03:49

EDIT

Options
Related Articles