ER605 SDN periodical ping

2022-06-26 18:14:34 - last edited 2022-06-27 04:49:10
Tags: #user script
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0

Hello,

is there aby chance to run each 10-20 minutes ping to defined IP address. Through SDN web interface or through cron script?

Options
4 Reply
Re:ER605 SDN periodical ping
2022-06-28 08:47:29

@Libik 

As far as I know, it should not be supported, so you can search and investigate to see if you can do it with other software.

Options
2022-06-28 20:57:11

@Libik are you asking because of vpn? The easiest way would any linux (like openwrt) capable device, on openwrt with gui, without additional settings, under scheduled tasks you can add ping or whatever you want, ping, curl, ... . I am not sure if wireguard would fit your purpose or not, but being most efficient and fastest of all vpn protocols you maybe should try it. Cheapest rpi4 would give you quite decent speeds, way above of what you get with tp-links vpn features.

Here is example with reboot and ddns (namecheap) with curl for openwrt:

*/15 * * * * /usr/bin/curl -RsS --stderr /var/run/ddns/mysubdomain_namecheap_ipv4.err --noproxy '*' 'LOOK AT PICTURE BELOW,LINKS CANT BE POSTED'
# reboot at 4:20 daily
20 4 * * * sleep 70 && touch /etc/banner && reboot

as links are illegal content on this forum, here a screenshot

hope that helps

Options
2022-06-29 20:07:36 - last edited 2022-06-29 20:09:15

@btx 

Thanks for help. It is because of VPN, but for another reason. I have problems with disconnection of L2TP/IPSec client-to-site VPN after one hour ( https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/532900?replyId=1108072 ) and it could be caused by inactivity of the tunnel from the server, so I would like to try run scheduled ping directly from the router. It does not help to send ping from computer. I want to have everything under one control center (omada controller) without any other devices.

Options
2022-06-30 05:25:34

Libik wrote

@btx 

Thanks for help. It is because of VPN, but for another reason. I have problems with disconnection of L2TP/IPSec client-to-site VPN after one hour ( https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/532900?replyId=1108072 ) and it could be caused by inactivity of the tunnel from the server, so I would like to try run scheduled ping directly from the router. It does not help to send ping from computer. I want to have everything under one control center (omada controller) without any other devices.

@Libik you are welcome. You did not specify for which exact reasons you would need ping, I still guess I assumed correctly and exactly because of that I suggested connectionless protocoll which is wireguard, beside all other nice things like performance, for wireguard you do not need to care at all about reconnect scripts, but however, if you look at it and need help, feel free to ask.

Options