Load balancing and Backup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-28 17:56:52 - last edited 2022-06-29 00:40:28
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0
  • I have 3 WAN connections. WAN and WAN/LAN1 are each about 40 Mbs and WAN/LAN2 is about 14 Mbs. I have specified load balancing on WAN and WAN/LAN1 and link backup from primary WAN: WAN WAN/LAN1 to WAN/LAN2. If I enable all three WANs i get almost all the traffic going to WAN/LAN2. I'm thinking there should be no traffic going there - it's specified as backup when all primary WANs fail. I understand there may be some heartbeat transactions going to WAN/LAN2, but not user data traffic.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Load balancing and Backup
2022-06-29 08:05:03

@GoldDome 

First of all, it should be noted that the prerequisite for the link backup function to work is to enable Load Balancing, but when link backup is in effect, Load Balancing is not working.

Also, how did you find out that all traffic was going to the backup WAN? By speed test?
Did you make sure that your WAN and WAN/LAN1 were working properly at the time of the issue?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-06-29 14:33:18

@Virgo 

Seems strange that enabling load balancing would defeat link backup. Certainly not documented.

As for how to find traffic:

Enable load balancing

Connect the backup link

Go to link statistics, clear

You'll see LOTS of traffic on the backup link.

Disconnect the backup link

Clear the link statistics

Traffic seems to be at least somewhat balanced. on Wan and Wan/Lan1

Options
2022-06-30 06:14:01

@GoldDome 

Maybe I wasn't very clear before and you misunderstood a bit, what I meant was that if link backup is enabled, then load balancing will be not active.

There is a very simple way to check where the data is going, after you have set it up, keep WAN and WAN1 working and physically connected, do a tracert command on a PC connected to the back of the router, you can tracert 8.8.8.8 to see which WAN port the data is going to.

It is recommended to try this several times.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 346

Replies: 3

Related Articles