Help diagnose an TL-SG108E 802.1Q VLAN problem and make 2022 slightly less awful?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Help diagnose an TL-SG108E 802.1Q VLAN problem and make 2022 slightly less awful?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-01 23:46:50 - last edited 2022-07-04 00:50:43
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: Latest

Hello,

Very short story -

My 84yo mother lives alone in the middle of nowhere, with some "barely-there" internet connection options, and a variety of buildings on some sprawling wooded property.  I spend a bunch of time trying to keep her networked and online (lots of home automation as well.)  I have a mostly working setup with 2 LTE modems and a Starlink as backup/supplemental Internet.

The problem -

There is something very wrong with access points I've placed outside, and I'm 99% sure it's because I've set up some fancy shamcy VLAN stuff in order to have all these pieces parts connected together from outbuildings to her house. DHCP frequently fails for clients connected to the outside access points.  Come inside, no issues.  The access points are all controlled over Omada, so configuration is very consistent.

If you happen to actually understand this 802.1Q and PVID stuff and would be willing to look at some screenshots of my setup (after I describe what it's supposed to do), please let me know.  I thought I had it all figured out, and it mosssstly works but... not quite...so close.  Am at my wits end and feeling like an idiot.  

Thanks much,

John

Options
1 Reply
Re:Help diagnose an TL-SG108E 802.1Q VLAN problem and make 2022 slightly less awful?
2022-07-05 07:01:23

@BLite 

To make the wireless VLAN work properly for Omada EAP, both the Router and the Switch should be VLAN capable.
If the network topology is like "Router (Port1) ----(Port2) Switch (Port3) ---- EAP )))((( SSID1 vlan10, SSID2 vlan20".

Then the Port1, Port2, and Port3 should all have VLAN10 & VLAN20 tagged.

This may help you: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/788/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 398

Replies: 1

Related Articles