Change IP address of Software Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-04 13:12:24 - last edited 2022-07-30 18:55:22
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.3.1

If the software controller is moved to a new server with a different IP address(on the same subnet), do the devices need to be notified of this change?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Change IP address of Software Controller-Solution
2022-07-30 18:37:49 - last edited 2022-07-30 18:55:22

212admin wrote

This is my guess. Update us please your results.

@212admin I finally got around to testing this.  The controller migration process has you do a backup on controller A and then a restore on controller B.  Then it informs the devices of the new IP you specify.  Then the devices get adopted by controller B.

I suspect this would not work without the notify step.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Change IP address of Software Controller
2022-07-04 18:48:59

@Alex789 

My GUESS is "no". The controller just needs connectivity back to the Cloud. It doesnt care what ip it is on.

I have done lab experiments and moved my hardware controller to a different lan subnet and it still connected.

But of course it didn't see any of the deivces that it was seeing when on orginal network. So I guess as long as your controller can still connect to the intended devices and still connect to the internet that is all that is required.

What I would do is leave the software agent on the old server just turn it off (not running) and then install a copy of the agent on your "new" server and if works then later you can delete the oringal software installation. I always leave an option to roll back if needed.

Options
Re:Change IP address of Software Controller
2022-07-04 23:46:14

I just noticed there is a migration function in the controller.  I guess that is the best course of action here.

Options
Re:Change IP address of Software Controller-Solution
2022-07-30 18:37:49 - last edited 2022-07-30 18:55:22

212admin wrote

@212admin I finally got around to testing this.  The controller migration process has you do a backup on controller A and then a restore on controller B.  Then it informs the devices of the new IP you specify.  Then the devices get adopted by controller B.

I suspect this would not work without the notify step.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 562

Replies: 3

Related Articles