Dual Wan configuration suggestions?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-06 15:07:28
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hi all, I need some suggestions on how to setup my dual wan connection.

I have 2 ISP's that the lines come out at the oposite side of the house and that makes a problem as only 1 lan cable goes half way into the SG108PE where both routers can reach it.

Cabling is a bit of a problem so I would like to skip if possible.

Now I have setup the first ISP router into Bridge mode and set it under WAN1 and works great.

However ISP router 2 cannot reach the dual wan ER605 router but it can reach the SG108PE.

The solution I see here is to make a VLAN on the SG108PE and route it to the ER605 and setup an Wan2 Vlan interface?.

The question is will it work and is it "smart" to let a public IP connection into a switch despite the VLAN isolation?

Also side question does anybod have any wxperience with this weird ISP router calles Innbox v46 that has one billion options and I still cant figure out how to set it in Brige mode as its an ADSL modem and my phone and tv goes trough it as well!

Thanks!

Options
10 Reply
Re:Dual Wan configuration suggestions?
2022-07-06 17:38:56

@Sashabencic 

With the SG108, you should use 802.1q VLANs for the ISP connection.  It should be untagged on the port attached to the modem, but tagged on ingress by the SG108 and received by the WAN2 port of the ER605 which has the same VLAN ID assigned as the ISP port on the 108.  Obviously don't share this VLAN ID with any other service. 

Enable tagging for the WAN port on the ER605 should be enough to isolate your WAN traffic in the LAN environment.

My question is how the ER605 and SG108PE are connected (are they adjacent to each other, or is there a run of cable between the two).  If you cannot easily run a second cable from the SG108 to the ER605, the above solution is likely of no benefit.

How fast is your ISP's connection?  If it's less than 100M/100M, you could split your single cable into two cables using 2 pairs each, with a max throughput of 100M each.  You might just want to run more cable.... 

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-07-06 18:19:30

@d0ugmac1 

The SG108 is connected with lan cable to the ER605 on lan port 8.

As I see it it would be best ro run another cable to the WAN2 port as I do not see a way to put VLAN and WAN2 on port 2 as WAN.. 

Seems even very complicated.. 

It is not easy to run anoher cable but I see no other solution at this point.

Options
2022-07-06 18:31:25
Well you could put another SG108 at the ER605 end and split out the VLANs again. That would allow you to re-use the single cable. More money, less effort?
Options
2022-07-06 19:11:40

@d0ugmac1 

I do have an extra 108E 8 port that I do not use!

How do you recon this configuration should look like?

Could you elaborate a bit more im kind of confused when it comes to VLANS.

Thank you!

Options
2022-07-06 20:36:15 - last edited 2022-07-06 20:37:44

I'll presume based on the above respones you aren't currently using VLANs at all in your current design? If so, then imagine New108.port8 is connected to WAN2 of your ER605 router. Also, imagine that Existing108.port8 connects to your second ISP modem. Lastly imagine that New108.port1 connects to ER605.LAN. With this setup, you would use 802.1q VLANs and configure both port 8's as belonging to a unique VLAN ID, let's say 10. Both ports are 'untagged' for egress traffic, but mark the inbound packets with VLAN_10 (this is often called the PVID). Now what happens is that any packet entering either port8 can only exit the other port8, and because you have set the PVIDs of both port8's to '10' the traffic is invisible to untagged traffic on the default VLAN (usually '1'). Now you could connect say ER605.LAN port to New108.port1, and that traffic would become available on ports 1-7 of the Existing108 switch, and any traffic from the remote ports 1 through 7 would wind up on ER605.LAN for forwarding...which could either be out the local WAN, or, via WAN2->New108.port8->Existing108.port8->DSL modem.

Options
2022-07-08 20:11:53
Hi, sorry for a late response... I have to admit I had to read that 15 times to somewhat understand :)... Sorry I have the logical understanding of VLANS but when it comes to creating and setting them up im totally baffled! So what I have done is run the wire so now I have the ISP 2 modem conected with the cable on the WAN1/LAN port however I forgot that the ISP 2 also has IPTV on it and that would now reqiure ANOTHER WIRE! So I checked the ISP modem and I can see the IPTV has a VLAN ID of 3968 but there are a million options in this ISP's router and as far as I can see it has some internal bridging br0,br1,br2,br3,br4,br5. I did contact the ISP and asked how can I forward and asked if that VLAN is the IPTV and they said yes but they refused to offer support for forwarding it to my ER605... Soooo what I need to do now is have WAN and IPTV on the same cable and inside omada I do see the option for IPTV! Now the question is how do I forward that 3986 VLAN that will come into the ER605 WAN1/LAN port and out the LAN 4 port... Under services I have WAN port, WAN/lan2 , WAN/lan3, and LAN... Is it just me but thats 4 options on a 5 port switch? My guess is: Create a bridge in ISP modem to bridge the WAN and IPTV to the same VLAN 3986 step2 set the VLAN 3986 in services/IPTV on the ER605 OR Maybe leave the option Bridge in ER605/IPTV instead of going custom?? Sorry loads of question and im kind of lost... If you care to spend some time explaining this I would be grateful! Thanks!
Options
2022-07-22 10:19:35

To apply Dual WAN configuration:

Connect your main ISP line to WAN1 interface of the Cloud Edge box and the backup ISP line to WAN2 (LAN1) interface.
    On the Cloud Edge On-Premise console, go to Network > Interfaces.
    Edit your WAN interfaces (WAN and WAN2/LAN1) and select DHCP/PPPoE mode.
    Supported modes for DUAL WAN are DHCP/DHCP and DHCP/PPPoE.
    Enable monitor settings to check if both WAN lines still work. You can monitor some public DNS servers or any public IP addresses that are ICMP reachable.

It is necessary to configure two (2) monitor hosts. If you only want to configure one host, input the same IP address on both monitoring host 1 and host 2 fields. Cloud Edge appliance will redirect network traffic to the backup LAN1/WAN2 route when both monitoring hosts are ICMP unreachable.
On the same page go to Network > Routing > Policy Routing.
Configure Policy Route to direct traffic more precisely. This is necessary to have your DUAL WAN environment work in active/passive mode.

Source Address: Any
    Destination Address: Any
    Service Type: Any
    Egress Interface: WAN or LAN1 (select interface that is connected to the active line)
If you have configured other policy route, move the "any-any" policy route to the bottom. This is to ensure other policy routes would still work.
On the Cloud Edge Cloud Console, go to Gateways.
Select gateway and click NAT.
Configure Source Network Address Translation (SNAT) on both WAN interfaces to allow internal address access to the Internet.

NAT Type: Source
    Egress interface: WAN and LAN1 for the other interface
    Source IP translation: Egress interface IP address
    Click Save and then Apply.
    Configure your LAN network interfaces via Cloud Edge Cloud Console. The procedure is the same on Cloud Edge single WAN mode.

To test if the active/passive mode of Dual WAN Cloud Edge setup is working, use "tracert" command on your endpoint:

When both WAN1 and WAN2 are working, traffic will pass through WAN1 interface.

Options
2022-08-21 14:14:18

I have the legitimate comprehension of VLANS yet with regards to making and setting them up im completely astounded! So what I have done is run the wire so presently I have the ISP 2 modem conected with the link on the WAN1/LAN port anyway I failed to remember that the ISP 2 additionally has IPTV on it and that would now reqiure ANOTHER WIRE! So I checked the ISP modem and I can see the IPTV has a VLAN ID of 3968 yet there are 1,000,000 choices in this ISP's switch and to the extent that I can see it has some inside spanning br0,br1,br2,br3,br4,br5.

I reached the ISP and asked how might I forward and inquired as to whether that VLAN is the IPTV and they said OK yet they wouldn't offer help for sending it to my ER605... Soooo what I really want to do currently is have WAN and IPTV on a similar link and inside omada I truly do see the choice for IPTV! Presently the inquiry is how would I forward that 3986 VLAN that will come into the ER605 WAN1/LAN port and out the LAN 4 port.

Options
2022-08-21 15:32:29

@Charles1122 

here's how I do it as my ISP also uses VLANs on the WAN for different services:

Options
2022-08-24 07:56:20
Thanks! Ill attempt to copy your config with my vlans ill see if it works!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 715

Replies: 10