Can User Name and Password be Provided for OpenVPN Client ? - ER605 - OC200 - TL-SG2008P

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can User Name and Password be Provided for OpenVPN Client ? - ER605 - OC200 - TL-SG2008P

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-10 19:32:44 - last edited 2022-07-15 08:40:48
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.1

I have a NordVPN account and when I run the NordVPN client - it automatically connects to the server with my username and password .

If I use either of two other stand alone clients - it prompts me for my user name and password .

Is there a way to imbed the user name and password into the configuration file ?  Or is there a way for the OpenVPN client function to facilitate prompting for or auto supplying the user name and password ?

In another thread - I describe how my inter-vlan access is blocked when I run the 3rd party OpenVPN software .

Ordinarily I can access 192.168.44.x from 192.168.22.x .  However, when I run a separate OpenVPN client, the access is blocked, even though I have set up an IP Group switch ACL .

The ACL is not needed when the OpenVPN client is not connected .

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can User Name and Password be Provided for OpenVPN Client ? - ER605 - OC200 - TL-SG2008P-Solution
2022-07-15 08:40:41 - last edited 2022-07-15 08:40:48

@kablammy 

I found out how to do it .  It was not easy to find because I found loads of unrelated things as usual .

This is for Windows .

Go to the directory where the configuration file located and create a new text file and call it whatever you want - such as auth.txt .  This file has to be in the same place as the configuration file .  Or a path might work in the next step, I don't know .

Inside that file - on the first line put only your user name that is needed for login .  On the second line put your password .  Save / close that file .

Next open the configuration file with a text editor ( notepad++ is good ) ( it has an extension of .opvn ) .

Find the line in the text that reads :

auth-user-pass

Then add the name of your text file after that :

auth-user-pass auth.txt

When using my OpenVPN client to connect to my NordVPN dedicated server - it works .

I also imported the same configuration file into Osamba I mean Omada ( I can never get that right the first 3 times ) .

However, Omada shows success no matter if you put the right or wrong server information in there - so how do you even verify that the connection was made from the Omada interface ?

I know that it is not working because I should be getting the dedicated IP address from the OpenVPN server and I am not .

Whey does the Omada interface show success ? ? ? I changed the IP address of the server to a wrong number and I still get a success indication .  I suppose that is only showing that the VPN was enabled ? ? ?  Well, where is the indication of a successful connection ? ? ?

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Can User Name and Password be Provided for OpenVPN Client ? - ER605 - OC200 - TL-SG2008P
2022-07-12 09:49:26

@kablammy 

As far as I know, there should be no way to achieve this.

However, it is said that OpenVPN is going to support the ability of the Client side to enter account, so we can look forward to that.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Can User Name and Password be Provided for OpenVPN Client ? - ER605 - OC200 - TL-SG2008P-Solution
2022-07-15 08:40:41 - last edited 2022-07-15 08:40:48

@kablammy 

I found out how to do it .  It was not easy to find because I found loads of unrelated things as usual .

This is for Windows .

Go to the directory where the configuration file located and create a new text file and call it whatever you want - such as auth.txt .  This file has to be in the same place as the configuration file .  Or a path might work in the next step, I don't know .

Inside that file - on the first line put only your user name that is needed for login .  On the second line put your password .  Save / close that file .

Next open the configuration file with a text editor ( notepad++ is good ) ( it has an extension of .opvn ) .

Find the line in the text that reads :

auth-user-pass

Then add the name of your text file after that :

auth-user-pass auth.txt

When using my OpenVPN client to connect to my NordVPN dedicated server - it works .

I also imported the same configuration file into Osamba I mean Omada ( I can never get that right the first 3 times ) .

However, Omada shows success no matter if you put the right or wrong server information in there - so how do you even verify that the connection was made from the Omada interface ?

I know that it is not working because I should be getting the dedicated IP address from the OpenVPN server and I am not .

Whey does the Omada interface show success ? ? ? I changed the IP address of the server to a wrong number and I still get a success indication .  I suppose that is only showing that the VPN was enabled ? ? ?  Well, where is the indication of a successful connection ? ? ?

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8128

Replies: 2