VPN Router ER605 with Telstra NBN Modem Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-19 03:38:22
Tags: #Telstra
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased many TP-Link Omada products for home and now have a VPN router model ER605. I'm wondering the best method to set this up? Can NBN modem talk to the router without needing to go via the Telstra Smart modem? What impact does that have on SIP and 4G failover?

Or do I connect the Telstra Smart Modem on one of the WAN ports and the main WAN port comes from the NBN modem?

Setup would be VPN Router ER605 > TL-SG2008P (PoE Switch) > 
OC200 (Omada Controller) 
3 x EAP245 (APs)

Any suggestions would be grateful.

Options
6 Reply
Re:VPN Router ER605 with Telstra NBN Modem Setup
2022-07-20 04:25:31

@shano81 Hi

I'm not very familiar with Telstra Modem, you have two Modems? Or actually one of them is just a "Router"? I tried to search online and figure out the NBN Modem is just a fiber modem actually.

Anyway if you only have one Internet source, then only need one Modem(I believe it should be the NBN modem).

Connect the ER605 WAN port to the Modem and it should work. The “Smart Modem" you can still configure it as Access Point and link it to ER605's/switch's LAN port.

Options
2022-07-20 10:22:26

@Somnus 

The following setup I have

* NBN Connection box has an ethernet cable that goes to the Telstra router (Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2) which has 4G failover and SIP for my home handset (phone)

* NBN Connection box to ER605 WAN port should work but I'm not sure about the impact of not going via the Telstra Smart Modem especially when comes to SIP and 4G Failover. 

* Alternatively can go NBN Connection Box to Smart Modem Gen (Put in Bridge Mode) then to ER605 WAN port. The only unknown is bridge mode and what it affects.

Thanks

Shane

Options
2022-07-21 03:39:02

@shano81 In most of the cases Bridge Mode is to prevent double-NAT issue. (like a router connected to another router)

Some Modem is Modem Router 2-in-1 device, and "bridge mode" means disable the built-in router function to let it work as a pure modem.

Options
2022-07-25 05:52:08

My strong recommendation would be to directly connect ER605 to the NBN modem and skip the Telstra smart modem completely.

You can re-direct your telephone number to your mobile via the Telstra website, no extra charge to do it.

Telstra ia also an IPv4 and IPv6 ISP.

So don't forget to enable IPv6.

Set WAN to DHCPv6 and LAN to SLAAC + RDNSS for proper Telstra setup.

Options
2022-07-25 08:30:19

@add1n1 

Thanks for the Advice. The phone never gets used so happy to do that but the Telstra router has a 4G failover that would be handy to still use when internet goes down.

Shane

Options
2022-08-17 12:07:00 - last edited 2022-08-17 12:32:57

@add1n1 @shano81 

Be aware when enabling ipv6 on the ER605 is there is no firewall options for ipv6. I am still looking for a way to configure that but so far have not been able to. You will be reliant on your Device's software firewall.

See the following feature request.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/274222

Options