Beginner Question | TP-Link Topology

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-20 10:20:41
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I’m planing on retiring my Linksys Velop MX5300v1 and going with TP-Link. I do have a couple questions though as I am new to this environment. As a new customer/user, I plan to purchase a TP-Link ER605 and be starting with the following topology:

Cable Modem -> TP-Link ER605 -> ?

I currently have a TL-SG105 and TL-SG1005P and would need to purchase an access point,, but I’m not sure if a controller is need for the access point or if the ER605 can act as a wireless controller. I require to have a 2.4 and 5MHz Main SSID and 2.4 and 5MHz Guest SSID.

Can someone steer me in the correct direction I need to be going in regards to what hardware I need to purchase?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Beginner Question | TP-Link Topology
2022-07-20 17:08:11

@MJ2 

The ER605 does not come with a OMADA controller. Omada devices can run without a controller, but certain features, for example a WiFi mesh, are unfortunately available only with a controller. Buy a good PoE switch that implements VLANs. Your current switches are unmanaged so they can work in a single VLAN only. Your new switch does not need to be a routing switch since the router can handle inter-VLAN routing. If you plan to buy an AP with a 2.5G port, make sure that you also buy a switch with 2.5G ports.

TP-Link has a pretty good video that can guide you through the setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-fenfPBv0M

Kris K
Options
2022-07-20 18:28:40 - last edited 2022-07-21 06:11:06

Controller is different thing from ER605. It used for advanced and centralized managing of all devices (routers, AP, ...). It could be OC200/OC300 as standalone device or it could be running as a service on the Linux or Windows machine. Without controller you cannot use for example fast AP roaming or WLAN mesh.

Topology will be:Cable Modem -> ER605 -> Switch -> APs

As AP you can use EAP225 (2,4GHz and 5GHz with guest network) or something better like EAP6xx for better speed.

Options
2022-07-20 20:32:57

@MJ2 Thank you both so much. I think I have a better understanding now. I don have an additional quick question. Is it safe to assume that the TP-Link ER605 has no "robust" firewall, therefore a firewall must also me added to the topology?

Cable Modem -> TP-Link ER605 -> Switch / Controller -> AP

vs

Cable Modem -> TP-Link ER605 / Firewall -> Switch / Controller -> AP

Options
2022-07-20 22:13:38

@MJ2 

The firewall on the ER605 is not robust for sure. It is a basic business firewall. However, that does not mean you need to add another firewall. It all depends on your requirements. If you need a robust firewall, you should reconsider buying an ER605 since firewalls act also as routers. Moreover, adding a firewall to a setup that already includes a router may be challenging to less experienced users.

Kris K
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 669

Replies: 4

Related Articles