EAP failing to connect after power cycle on remote managed switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-30 14:30:05
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.0.9 Build 20220429 Rel. 53558

I have an issue with my EAP225 Outdoor connecting back to the network if the remote switch is power cycled. My system is managed by a Omada OC200.

My network has a branch off from it which is linked via two EAP225 Outdoor antennas. (EAP225 NEAR End & EAP225 FAR End)

The remote section from the link has a managed TP-Link TL-SG2008P Switch, which has the IP of 192.168.0.4. there are 4 ports of this switch being used, port 1 is for the remote EAP225 Outdoor, IP 192.168.0.14 (Which I will call the "FAR End") Port 2 is for an EAP620HD antenna. 3 is for a VOIP system and 4 is for a server.

If the remote managed switch has a power cycle or is reset, the FAR End EAP225, the EAP620 and the VOIP system will also power off. This is expected because all these devices are lower from the switch PoE+ ports. When everything reboots, the EAP225 FAR End will not connect back to the EAP 225 NEAR End, IP 192.168.0.13. There is no way of searching for the remote antenna via the OC200 management terminal. You select on the NEAR End EAP225 Outdoor and go to the Mesh tab and you would expect to see a search option to search for any meshed devices to reconnect, but instead this just says that this is a wired AP. I have selected the tab to make the "Near End" EAP225 as the preferred AP, but this still doesn't stop the Far End EAP225 thinking that the remote switch is the incoming preferred AP.

The only way to get the remote segment back up and running again is to visit the remote part of your site, and try and force the EAP225 Far End back onto the Near End EAO225.

I have set the gateway of the Far End EAP225 to 192.168.0.13, which is that of the near End and the Primary DNS server IP 192.168.9.1 which is the VPN Router at the Near End.

This isn't good and is a real nightmare.

There should be a way of searching from the local, or near End, to reconnect to any remote devices if lost.

I'm not a network wizard nor do I understand much about IP networking, but my network doesn't need VLANS or specific port forwarding rules anyway. I just need it to work and it is important that all parts of my network are managed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiencing the same or similar issues?

Many thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP failing to connect after power cycle on remote managed switch
2022-07-30 15:45:10

@xmtr34 

this was a lot of stuff, can you make a network diagram of your components?

I think it will be easier to understand then.

Options
2022-07-30 17:42:41

xmtr34 wrote

I have set the gateway of the Far End EAP225 to 192.168.0.13, which is that of the near End and the Primary DNS server IP 192.168.9.1

@xmtr34 

Im not sure I understand this but ther problably gateway problems, set deafult gateway to router where OC200 is located on all access point.

that do meshing. the story tell notging about router but its problably 192.168.0.1 

Options
2022-07-30 18:24:17

xmtr34 wrote

I have an issue with my EAP225 Outdoor connecting back to the network if the remote switch is power cycled. My system is managed by a Omada OC200.

My network has a branch off from it which is linked via two EAP225 Outdoor antennas. (EAP225 NEAR End & EAP225 FAR End)

The remote section from the link has a managed TP-Link TL-SG2008P Switch, which has the IP of 192.168.0.4. there are 4 ports of this switch being used, port 1 is for the remote EAP225 Outdoor, IP 192.168.0.14 (Which I will call the "FAR End") Port 2 is for an EAP620HD antenna. 3 is for a VOIP system and 4 is for a server.

If the remote managed switch has a power cycle or is reset, the FAR End EAP225, the EAP620 and the VOIP system will also power off. This is expected because all these devices are lower from the switch PoE+ ports. When everything reboots, the EAP225 FAR End will not connect back to the EAP 225 NEAR End, IP 192.168.0.13. There is no way of searching for the remote antenna via the OC200 management terminal. You select on the NEAR End EAP225 Outdoor and go to the Mesh tab and you would expect to see a search option to search for any meshed devices to reconnect, but instead this just says that this is a wired AP. I have selected the tab to make the "Near End" EAP225 as the preferred AP, but this still doesn't stop the Far End EAP225 thinking that the remote switch is the incoming preferred AP.

The only way to get the remote segment back up and running again is to visit the remote part of your site, and try and force the EAP225 Far End back onto the Near End EAO225.

I have set the gateway of the Far End EAP225 to 192.168.0.13, which is that of the near End and the Primary DNS server IP 192.168.9.1 which is the VPN Router at the Near End.

This isn't good and is a real nightmare.

There should be a way of searching from the local, or near End, to reconnect to any remote devices if lost.

I'm not a network wizard nor do I understand much about IP networking, but my network doesn't need VLANS or specific port forwarding rules anyway. I just need it to work and it is important that all parts of my network are managed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiencing the same or similar issues?

Many thanks.

@xmtr34 

From the description of your setup, it is evident that the EAP225-Outdoor WAP is not the right kit for your system.  To do what you want really requires a pair of Point to Point radio units (TP-Link Pharos, CPE 510 or CPE 710) configured as a bridge.  These can be configured as 'point-to-point (PtP) or 'point-to-multipoint' (PtMP) and include all necessary set-up for WPA/WPA2 pass-wording.

Trying to use the 'mesh' function on the EAP225 is a non-starter, as meshing is ONLY available where there is NO hardwired connection into the EAP.

The Pharos units are NOT managed by the OC200 but can be easily set up using free TP-Link application.

I have older variants of these PtP heads & use a web browser to configure & administer, although they very seldom need any attention.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 415

Replies: 3