Questions on firmware downloads (Philippines)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-02 13:15:50 - last edited 2022-08-04 07:30:03

Within the past couple months we bought the following from official TP-Link stores online:
- VPN router ER605 (UN) Ver 1.0 (1 unit)
- Ceiling mounted EAP225 (US) Ver 3.0 (2 units)
- Easy Smart Switch TL-SG105E (UN) Ver 5.0 (1 unit)

The UN and US parts are from the box stickers. All devices are used as standalone.

Questions:
- Could I use the firmware downloads from the global website, i.e., the one from tp-link.com/en/... and NOT tp-link.com/ph/...?
- Why are the downloads for EAP225 for EU and not US (both global and Philippine pages)? Are they good to use anyway?

I read on a Reddit thread that the global site should be fine but there's a note: "Please upgrade firmware from the local TP-Link official website of the purchase location for your TP-Link device, otherwise it will be against the warranty. Please click here to change site if necessary."

Other details:

- There's no ER605 on the Philippine Download Center page.

- For EAP225: The Philippine page is behind the global page by 5 (!) firmware releases.

• https://www.tp-link.com/ph/support/download/eap225/v3/#Firmware
  • https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/eap225/v3/#Firmware

- For TL-SG105E: The Philippine page is behind the global page by 1 firmware release.

• https://www.tp-link.com/ph/support/download/tl-sg105e/v5/#Firmware
  • https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-sg105e/v5/#Firmware

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Formatting

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Questions on firmware downloads (Philippines)-Solution
2022-08-04 07:29:38 - last edited 2022-08-04 07:30:03

Update:

I emailed our regional support (Philippines) and the one from the global site. (Shoutout to them, they were really helpful :)

Below is my takeaway from their replies:

For firmware updates the most important thing to look for is the region printed on the device/box sticker (US, EU, CA, etc.) or "UN", which I gather is a "tag" for non-wireless devices, which is true for both our VPN router ER605 and Smart Switch TL-SG105E.

It does NOT matter which local/regional website you get your firmware downloads from, as long as the regions match (US, EU, UN, CA, etc.)

The Philippine website uses EU because the Philippines complies with radio frequency laws of the EU (either similarly or the same).

Our ceiling-mounted EAP225 is US, so I was instructed to use the US website.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Questions on firmware downloads (Philippines)
2022-08-03 02:55:02

Hi @Kayu_Manggi!

I downloaded mine using the omada controller and I never had any issues. I remember I manually updated one of my 225 Outdoor AP using the US website since the Philippine website does not have the updated firmware. 

Options
Re:Questions on firmware downloads (Philippines)-Solution
2022-08-04 07:29:38 - last edited 2022-08-04 07:30:03

Update:

I emailed our regional support (Philippines) and the one from the global site. (Shoutout to them, they were really helpful :)

Below is my takeaway from their replies:

For firmware updates the most important thing to look for is the region printed on the device/box sticker (US, EU, CA, etc.) or "UN", which I gather is a "tag" for non-wireless devices, which is true for both our VPN router ER605 and Smart Switch TL-SG105E.

It does NOT matter which local/regional website you get your firmware downloads from, as long as the regions match (US, EU, UN, CA, etc.)

The Philippine website uses EU because the Philippines complies with radio frequency laws of the EU (either similarly or the same).

Our ceiling-mounted EAP225 is US, so I was instructed to use the US website.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-08-04 07:31:40

@paparazz01 Hi and thanks. I made a 135-word update ICYMI and if you're interested :)

Options
2022-08-04 07:39:39

@paparazz01 Just wanted to add that mismatching regions could result to a bricked device, which it seems did not happen with yours.

Options
2022-09-08 11:48:05

@Kayu_Manggi 

I have seen that my ER605 V2.0 is tagged as (UN) I.E Model : ER605(UN)

Do you think the US Version is safe to download?

Options
2022-09-08 18:35:44

@Rizerino 

All ER605 devices have the same firmware (apart from the v1 / v2 versions which are different) and it can be downloaded from any regional website.  all the same

Owner of: ER605 v1, ER605 v2, ER7206 v1, SG1024DE v4.2 and AX53 v1
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 617

Replies: 6