Software Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Software Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Software Controller
Software Controller
2022-08-08 23:34:58 - last edited 2022-08-22 02:07:32

I'm building a home network with 5 EAP610 and one TL-SG2210 Switch. The gateway will be the ISP's ONT router.

I'm deciding whether to buy the hardware controller or not.  Considering that this is a small network, its feasible to work on standalone mode.

But if I decide to use the software controller, can I just install it on one of my house's computers to set up the network or I do I need a dedicated computer?

The computer running the software controller needs to be continuously running or its only necessary when I want to change some setting??

If the controller needs to be running all the time, I think that its better for me to have a hardware controller. So I dont need to have a computer running 24/7.

But,  If  if the controller is only needed when I want to make some changes to the network, I can install the software on one of my personal computer and dont buy the hardware controller. Since its a residential network, changes will be rare.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Software Controller-Solution
2022-08-10 06:36:34 - last edited 2022-08-11 03:46:13

@RTMC 

Firstly, do you need a wireless connection between EAPs?
If you need it, then you need to enable Mesh on the controller, then the question arises, Mesh functionality is what is needed for the controller to run continuously and a hardware controller is more suitable.
Similar to this is fast roaming, which also requires the controller to run continuously.

Also, do you need to enable the cloud?
If you need to be able to monitor the controller remotely when you are away from home or elsewhere, the cloud service also requires the local controller to be constantly running.

Also, do you need to set up portals for your own clients?
Take a look at this: Do I need to keep controller running when using portal authentication

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Software Controller-Solution
2022-08-10 06:36:34 - last edited 2022-08-11 03:46:13

@RTMC 

Firstly, do you need a wireless connection between EAPs?
If you need it, then you need to enable Mesh on the controller, then the question arises, Mesh functionality is what is needed for the controller to run continuously and a hardware controller is more suitable.
Similar to this is fast roaming, which also requires the controller to run continuously.

Also, do you need to enable the cloud?
If you need to be able to monitor the controller remotely when you are away from home or elsewhere, the cloud service also requires the local controller to be constantly running.

Also, do you need to set up portals for your own clients?
Take a look at this: Do I need to keep controller running when using portal authentication

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Software Controller
2022-08-10 12:13:34

@Virgo 

Thanks for your attention

The Mesh function wont be necessary. All the EAPs will be hard-wired. 

Also, I wont need remote / cloud control or authentication portal. 

But I'm very interested on using Seamless Roaming

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 316

Replies: 2

Related Articles