Newbie Questions - Standalone, App, Cloud Controller, Firmware Updates, EAP610/620HD, EAP650/653

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Newbie Questions - Standalone, App, Cloud Controller, Firmware Updates, EAP610/620HD, EAP650/653

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-14 21:29:10 - last edited 2022-08-17 06:24:36
Tags: #Firmware Update #Standalone

Hello everyone, 

the Omada system looks interesting - great price and many management options.

I have a few questions - maybe someone can help me:

TL;DR:
Standalone Mode: Grouping devices or only individually configurable? Does the Omada App work? Also with multiple devices?
Omada Cloud-Based Controller: Any additional Hardware needed? Costs?
Firmware Support: How long will there be updates? EOL after shortest time?
EAP610 vs EAP620 HD: Up to which user size is the non HD device sufficient?
EAP650 vs EAP653: Is the missing PoE adapter the only difference?

---------------
Does the standalone mode offers any options to bundle/group multiple access points (master/slave) so that one acts as a kind of controller (master/slave) or does each have to be configured individually?

Does the Omada Smartphone App also work in standalone mode? Even with multiple devices?

Is a running controller software, hardware controller required for the upcoming "Omada Cloud-Based Controller" or can an access point be connected directly to the cloud controller without additional hardware?
Will the "Omada Cloud-Based Controller" service be free?

What is the experience with firmware support?
Unfortunately, I have had bad experiences with the consumer devices in this regard.
Very many different hardware revisions (very annoying!), rare updates, country-specific firmware updates and no more updates after a very short time.
I have made a comparison with an older Omada Ap and unfortunately it doesn't look much different here.
Example: 6 years on the market, 5 hardware revisions, 2 updates 12 months apart, after around 2 years no more updates for the first two revisions.
Has that improved in recent years? Does TP-Link have any official statements on this?
I am aware that in this price range, a fixed lifecycle information (EOS/EOL...) cannot be expected but only 2-3 years support are definitely too little for security relevant hardware.

EAP610 vs EAP620 HD
Do the devices differ "only" in terms of the designed device density?
What numbers (roughly) are we talking about here? Is the EAP610 easily sufficient for e.g. 30 clients?

EAP650 vs EAP653
Are the devices identical except for the missing PoE adapter on the EAP653?

Thank you for your time and thanks in advance for every answer!

Regards,

Martin

Options
2 Reply
Re:Newbie Questions - Standalone, App, Cloud Controller, Firmware Updates, EAP610/620HD, EAP650/653
2022-08-17 06:22:51

@m.fessler 

Standalone Mode: only individually configurable? Use the Standalone AP page on the Omada App to set it up
Omada Cloud-Based Controller: no need additional Hardware, Costs----https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/571146
EAP610 vs EAP620 HD: HD means can handle more clients.
EAP650 vs EAP653: https://www.tp-link.com/en/compare/?type=smb&typeId=5747&productIds=54503%2C52329

Take a short look.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Newbie Questions - Standalone, App, Cloud Controller, Firmware Updates, EAP610/620HD, EAP650/653
2022-08-18 01:39:32
The EAP653 is about half the transmission power of the EAP650...and included adapter is not PoE.
APs: EAP225v3, EAP245v3, EAP670, Controller: Linux, Primary Switch: T2600-28TS, Routing: OPNsense
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 654

Replies: 2

Tags

Firmware Update
Standalone