Omada ER605 VPN Cannot Get Any VPN Connection To Work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-15 00:16:21
Tags: #ER605 VPN Will Not Connect
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 777

I have tried every way I can to get a VPN connection to work .

I do not have a second WAN or a remote site of my own .  However, I have tried to connect to my notebook, running OpenVPN server, which was tethered to my cell phone and I was able to connect using a Windows OpenVPN client app, but not with Omada .

In all cases, I have been able to connect from Windows or cell phone OpenVPN client app to servers and using the same .ovpn file in Omada, it does not work .

I created an OpenVPN server on Omada and cannot connect to it with my cell phone .  The same cell phone and app worked with my older stand alone TP-Link VPN router .

I see no log reports in the controller interface .

I have found a free OpenVPN server that requires no authentication and once again the Windows client works .

I found the link to the free OpenVPN server on another thread in this forum and it appears that it was working for that individual .

Here is a link to that thread and a link to the free OpenVPN server site .

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/269062

Here is the OpenVPN server link .

https://vanwa dot tech/vpn

I tried it and it doesn't work in Omada, but it does work with a Windows client app .

I would like for someone with an ER605 to try connecting to that server and let me know if it works for you .

I am seriously thinking that this router is bad .  i tried resetting it and adopting it all over again already .

I tried to connect to a free L2TP server and it doesn't work .

This is a free VPN site .

https://freevpn dot me/accounts

Can someone with an ER605 try one of these servers and tell me if it works or not ?

I have my ER605 connected to a TL-SG2008P switch .  And the OC200 is also connect to that switch .

I have tried rbooting and reseting everything .

Options
12 Reply
Re:Omada ER605 VPN Cannot Get Any VPN Connection To Work
2022-08-15 04:23:23

@kablammy 

OK .

I finally got a VPN to work .  I reset the ER605 again and after I got it adopted, I tried the same old server configs / settings that I have already tried with no success .

Then I picked another free OpenVPN server, out of one of the several lists from which to choose, and downloaded that config file .

And when I tried it - wowwy wubbzy - it worked .  It was very slow .  I disconnected and then tried the windows client and it was also very slow .

Then I tried one of the others that I had already set up and it didn't work .  Then I tried the one that worked and it didn't work .  So, I messed around with trying different ones for a few minutes and then went back to the one that worked and tried it again and it worked again .  OpenVPN works as long as there are no credentials needed .

So, I doubt very seriously that rebooting the router was any consequence .  I think I just finally found a server that was alive and not full ...  I did a few pings; some were dead and I wasn't able to make a connection to some that were alive .

Anyway, I found out that it works .  I don't get any log messages though - I guess I need to enable an option in the log settings somewhere .

Connected from Florida to Washington State ->   I am tired of messing with this for now .  ( I think I need to go on holiday )

Options
2022-08-17 07:14:13

@kablammy 

I think it may also be because OpenVPN does not currently support setting Username and Password as a Client.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-08-18 01:52:38

@Virgo 

You are correct .  All of the attempted connections that I made were OpenVPN servers that did not require usernames or passwords .

I guess most of them were too busy or not working at all .

Options
2022-11-27 22:59:43

Well, since the new firmware update - I am able to input my credentials into the OpenVPN client and guess what ?

It still doesn't work .

I am trying to connect to my NordVPN server .

Other generic OpenVPN clients works with no problem .

What do we have to do to get this to work ?

Options
2022-12-03 04:48:19

@kablammy 

I was looking around on the internet and found this thread.

I have a premium NordVPN account with all the username and config file, and want to set up a Client to Site OpenVPN.

But it just doesn't work :(

Options
2023-02-21 08:44:18
Has anyone had luck in getting NordVPN to work yet?
Options
2023-02-21 11:08:54

@AJ123 

I was using ER605 V1 .
I got a ER605 V2 and it works .  The problem now is that it is extremely slow .
I get 12 Mbps down and up .

When using other OpenVPN clients for Window - I get 300 - 600 down and 235 up .

So, maybe on the next firmware update for the ER605 V1 - it might work .

Options
2023-07-02 03:17:11

@kablammy Hello.

I USE omada oc200 and omada er605. I create an openvpn server for the device. But I can only connect Vpn local. Unable to connect by phone. Can you help me

Options
2023-07-02 05:22:38

@AnhKiet 

Mine was working with NordVPN and I was connecting to a dedicated VPN though .
My dedicated VPN subscription stopped .  I just now tried to connect to another server and I cannot get it working .
I will let you know if I can get it working again .

If you want the phone to use the VPN you should be connecting to a WiFi that is part of your OMADA network .  Such as a TP-Link WiFi EAP or another router that has WiFi which will connect to your ER605 or to your switch .   The WiFi that your phone connect to MUST be behind the ER 605 .

Maybe your phone WiFi is connecting to your cablemodem WiFi ? ? ?

Options
2023-07-02 10:33:26

@kablammy 

If connected to wifi network. I was able to use it. But with mobile network. Need a VPN account?Thank you 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3314

Replies: 12

Tags

ER605 VPN Will Not Connect