VLAN Newbie Question - OC200, 2210P

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-23 11:57:45
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi Community!

Please, could someone assist me and help to improve the following.

My Equipment today

1xER7206 Gateway
2x2210P Switch (1 is running)

5xEAP610 AP

1xEAP610 Outdoor

Today my Gateway 7206 is situated in 2nd Floor to connect directly to 2x5G Internet Access Modems from my provider and works as a load balancer. The whole network is clean  - without any VLAN, ACL etc.

There are round about 20 Clients connected, but we are a great family, so its not necessary to split the network but...................

In 2 weeks i will receive a new Fiber-Connection in my 1st Floor and i want to put my Gateway into the first floor to directly connect via cable. So my plan is to use my 2nd switch to connect my AP via POE and 1 of my Provider modems in the 2nd Floor.

Now i think it would be great to build a VLAN between my 2 switches - one in the 2nd Floor and one in the first floor. 

Can someone please help how i could build a VLAN between my 2 switches? The are directly connected via CAT7 Cable from my house.

So my plan was 

INTERNET MODEM 5G, AP Outdoor, AP Indoor connect to my switch in 2nd Floor

GATEWAY and the others AP connected to my second switch 1st Floor

Thank you very much for your inputs!!!

Christian

Options
4 Reply
Re:VLAN Newbie Question - OC200, 2210P
2022-08-23 15:08:16

@ChrisAT I read this a couple of times and it isn't clear to me what you are proposing.

Is it something like this?

If so, what is your goal with the two ISP connections?

Options
2022-08-23 16:14:16

@Alex789 

Hi Alex!

Sorry for that. My ER7206 is Load-Balancing both of my 5G Connections and is situated in the 2nd Floor because the ISP Modems are OUTDOOR for better coverage. My todays network looks like

And this is my idea for the future - because my new FIBER Connection will come into my house throug the garage into the basement.

So my idea is to transfer my gateway to the basement and instead of the gateway i want to install a POE switch. So i could connect my new FIBER directly to the gateway.

I would cut one of my 5G connections and the second one i want to route via VLAN to the Gateway in the basement as second connection or fail-over.

So i think it would be great to initalize a VLAN between the 2 switches.

The future would be like this....................

Thank you very much for you support

Chris

Options
2022-08-23 16:28:40

@ChrisAT I think I see what you are trying to do.  Basically you want to use a VLAN to get that traffic to the outside of your ER7206 to avoid having to run an additional cable from where that device is to the ER7206?

You should be able to do that.  In the LAN section of the controller settings where you create wired networks, create a new network and set the "Purpose" to "VLAN" and give it a VLAN ID that isn't currently in use on your network.

Then assign that VLAN to the port the 5G gateway is plugged in one switch and an empty switch port on the other.  Then connect the empty to switchport to the WAN 1 port on the ER7206 and ensure it is configured as a WAN port.

As long as your 5G gateway supports having a switch between it and the client device, it should work.

Assuming that is what your actual goal is here. 

Options
2022-08-23 16:54:47

@Alex789 

Hi Alex!

@ChrisAT I think I see what you are trying to do.  Basically you want to use a VLAN to get that traffic to the outside of your ER7206 to avoid having to run an additional cable from where that device is to the ER7206?

Yes, thats right. I think there could be some problems because in the constellation the Gateway must communicate between the switches, so i thought it would be better to "tunnel" the WAN Traffic away from the normal LAN.

I will check this solution and will tell you if it work!

THX

Chris

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 411

Replies: 4

Related Articles