EAP225 Outdoor APs no longer provide local LAN access on Mesh network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-28 10:05:56
Tags: #Behind Mesh LAN Access
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.0.9

I have an issue with EAP225 or EAP265HD providing local link capabilities to LAN connected users downstream from the APs when they are connected to the network via MESH. Wifi connected users get DHCP from the upstream router as normal and can access the internet with no issues. LAN connected users on the switches behind the EAP225 Outdoor APs cannot see the. gateway and cannot connect to the internet at all...

Here is the layout of the network.

I have a multi-AP environment with an OC200 hardware controller. The outdoor APs are all EAP225 Outdoor units (x4 total) and the indoor units are EAP265 HD (x2).
There is a single SSID across all the APs and a single class C internal network / LAN. 
The router is a TP-Link Archer VR400 which chains down to a TP Link T1500G 8 port POE switch where the OC200 is connected as well as an additional downstream TP-Link TL-SG1008P 8 port switch (4 ports standard and. 4 ports POE).

On the premises, we have 2 houses. The main house has 1x EAP265 HD and 2x EAP225 Outdoor connected via CAT5e to the T1500 POE switch.

The second house is approximately 40m away from the main house and it has 1x EAP225 and 1x EAP265HD. These 2 EAPs in the second house are interconnected by a TL-SG1005LP 5 port gigabit switch (4 ports POE and 1 port normal).

There is a final AP in the driveway which is closer to the second house and that AP is an EAP225 Outdoor. That is also connected locally to another TL-SG1005LP switch to enable communications to an IP based Video Intercom unit.

The second house EAP225 Outdoor is connected to the EAP225 Outdoor primary AP at the main house. This is achieved via mesh link.

The EAP265HD in the second house, although connected via the 5 port switch to the second house EAP225 Outdoor, cannot "see" the EAP225 on the local LAN off that switch. It had to be connected to the second house EAP225 Outdoor AP via mesh too or it would not adopt and register on the OC200.

The driveway EAP225 Outdoor is in turn connected via mesh to the second house EAP265HD. The video intercom which is connected to a TL-SG1008LP 5 port switch and the driveway AP is also connected to, cannot "see" the rest of the network, even though the EAP225 is connected to the site and is registered as mesh linked.

If I connect via LAN to the local switches in the main house, I am able to access any device on that Local switch or daisy-chained switch as normal. I can also access the local APs connected to it and all the mesh connected APs. I cannot however connect to any devices connected via the remote switches behind the mesh connected APs. 

Likewise, if I connect to one of the 5 port switches off either the driveway EAP225 Outdoor or the second house EAP225 Outdoor or the second house EAP265HD, I am unable to access the internet, cannot "see" the router or any of the Local network behind a mesh connection...

Is there something I am missing? I have upgraded all the AP's and the OC200 to latest firmware. On previous firmware, it all. connected seamlessly and I had no problems.
One point to note in the latest OC200 firmware, is that unless you have an Omada Gateway, you are not able to enable UPnP as a service globally... 

Can anyone assist me urgently to get this issue resolved?

Options
5 Reply
Re:EAP225 Outdoor APs no longer provide local LAN access on Mesh network
2022-08-29 08:36:07

@JonHt 

Have you tried to connect a PC to the Mesh EAP225-outdoor LAN? Can it obtain IP from your main router?

I think the problem could be on the Ethernet connection from Mesh EAP225 to the PoE injector LAN port. So the power is working, but data did not go through to PoE injector LAN port.

You may try replace the cable between EAP and the PoE injector, or try a shorter Ethernet cable.

Options
2022-08-29 11:33:45

@Somnus I have tried that already :). 
Any device that is connected, via Ethernet cable, to the 5 port POE switch behind the driveway AP (driveway net) or the second house AP (second house net) can see all devices on that local switch (i.e. can see the AP or ping any other connected IP). Those LAN connected devices do NOT get a dynamic IP from the router in the main house. You have to set a static IP in the same class C local network range for that LAN connected device.

An example:
There is a video intercom at the gate of the second house entrance from the street and a small video screen intercom in the reception hall of the second house. Both of those devices are connected via Ethernet cable to the 5 port switch that the EAP225 and EAP245 HD are connected to. The intercom units have static IP addresses on the same network as the APs. They are able to communicate between each other for normal operations and using the tools, I can ping the AP IP's too. So communication on the local switches is fine, just the communications of LAN connected devices over the mesh to the router and internet are an issue.

Options
2022-08-29 14:12:55

@JonHt 

Are you able to Ping the Root EAP IP (or the Router's LAN IP) from the 5 port switch side?

You mentioend you can ping AP's IP, does that mean you can ping the mesh EAP225-outdoor?

If so, that's really strange. In the first time when I read your words, I think it could be DNS issue, or DHCP packets cannot go through. But if you can not ping the root EAP IP, means this Mesh connection just can't transfer any data from root to mesh unit's LAN.

You may also check is there any Access Control settings or other Advanced settings you've done?

Options
2022-08-30 07:35:03

@Somnus No, I cannot ping the router from the 5 port switch side. Yes, I can ping the IP of the EAP225 from the 5  port switch it is connected to. This is true for either of the driveway local net or the second house local net.

Options
2022-08-30 16:51:23

@JonHt looks to me like a conflict in your setup, lets clear it.

Location A is connected to Location B over mesh (eap225a<->eap225b): in that case, if you have any switch on Location B connected over lan port to eap225. In this case all devices connected to the switch on Location B would get ip address.

If you can not ping gateway which is on Location A, then you do not have connection of your 2APs.

Your problem is probably obvious to me:

Eap245 connects over mesh and causes conflict as your eap225b and eap245 are connected to one switch.

How to resolve: remove eap245 on location B and reboot eap225s, then wait until mesh is established, then readapt eap245 on location B. Eap245 should be then connected over lan, not mesh client.

Also, it is good if you use static ips for mesh aps and all aps on location B.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 372

Replies: 5

Tags

Behind Mesh LAN Access
Related Articles