ER605 DHCP reservation for TL-SG1016DE switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-30 12:49:04
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1.2.1

Hi, I want my TL-SG1016DE switch to have a fixed IP address in a separate Management VLAN. I have tried many permutations of different settings for TAGGED vs UNTAGGED and PVID, but whatever happens I never get the DHCP reservation to take effect, even with the bugfix firmware mentioned in this post. DHCP reservation for my EAP235-Wall works without a flaw. Any ideas are welcome.

ER605 settings:

TL-SG1016DE settings:

ER605 result:

Options
7 Reply
Re:ER605 DHCP reservation for TL-SG1016DE switch
2022-08-30 15:19:09

@K_verb 

Make the two ports you use to connect the switch and router together an UNTAG member of the MGMT VLAN (2708). Add these two ports also as TAG members to all the other VLANs. Set the PVID for these two ports to 2708. 

Kris K
Options
2022-08-30 18:35:19

@KJK 

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't sure that I'd already tried it that way so I configured everything according to your suggestions but the switch still gets an IP in VLAN 20. Even multiple reboots and unplugging/plugging of patchcables didn't change anything. When I plug my laptop in port 5 of the router it does get an IP in VLAN 2708.

Do you have any other suggestions I can try?

K

Options
2022-08-30 19:44:04

@K_verb 

What port do you use on the switch to connect to the router? Can I see the screenshots of its VLAN configuration?

To tell the truth, I always assign static IP addresses to my routers, switches, APs, servers and even printers. That’s actually how it should be done in the first place. Sometimes a DHCP server is not available and this is the only way to be sure about their IP addresses. I put them on the DHCP address reservation list as well but that’s just in case I do a factory reset on them.

Kris K
Options
2022-08-30 20:15:41

@KJK 

I use port 1 on the switch. The screenshots are number 3 and 4 in my original post, only difference is that now port 1 is untagged for VLAN 2708.

You make a fair point about assigning a static IP address in the switch config itself. I think I'll follow that advice but I'm still very curious and would like to find out how to get DHCP reservation to work in this case...

Regards,

K

Options
2022-08-31 06:47:12

@K_verb 

You may need to replace the switch to another managed switch like TL-SG2008.

TL-SG1016DE does not support management VLAN and it's web interface can be access from any VLAN.

Options
2022-09-01 18:41:20

@Somnus 

There is indeed no such one-click setting, but still your statement doesn't seem entirely correct: if I set ACL rules in my router to deny access from my PC's VLAN to my switch's VLAN, I can't access the switch management page.

The only problem I'm still having is getting the switch to get an IP address in the correct VLAN, which currently doesn't work with DHCP reservation from my ER605. Still have to try setting a static IP in the switch config.

Options
2022-09-22 11:41:44

@K_verb 

I've also experienced the issue with two SG1024DE switch that one of them didn't get the reserved IP address, even if it's configured on the switch with static IP and reserve in DHCP settings on the R605 v1.

However, the switches got the correct (each on different) vlan with their IP range, but one of them didn't get the correct (reserved) address, the other did.

I had the switches configured on the router with the port untagged with that vlan's ID.

I'm looking at your printscreens and don't understand why you configured port 3 as tagged on the switch? What is connected on port 3 on the switch?

And I didn't have to configure the switch's vlan on the switch, only on the router. The switch already have its default management vlan (Vlan 1)

I only tagged vlan 1 on the switch on every port. The vlan (that was tagged on the router) related to the connected device on each port on the switch are untagged on that port on the switch. Just like how you did, except that port 3 that you tagged.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 506

Replies: 7