Votes

USB WAN (Android Tethering)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-07 11:16:35 - last edited 2022-09-08 08:10:12
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20220223 Rel.68551

This is more of a feature request. 

Many small business's, like mine, need to have failover capabilities, and while the USB port is a great option for a WAN Failover, it doesn't allow people to use the most readily available device, a mobile phone.  Instead, you must buy a compatible USB modem, get a SIM card, and activate it separately.   I can imagine there are many reasons that this is the case, but I can't be the only person that would find this feature valuable.

In a pinch, it would be much better for those of us that have occasional outages to be able to simply utilize the built in tethering function in Android phones (maybe IOS supports it, but I don't use IOS).   While I know this may be a bit of a stretch, it seems like it should be feasible to add this capability.

If that's never going to be an option, it would be great if there were a way to use a USB to Ethernet dongle on a phone.  TP-Link, can you provide a written guide, as the networking options on Android phones are not as consumer friendly as your networking devices.

Thanks in advance for reading this, and making any recommendations.

Options
3 Reply
Re:USB WAN (Android Tethering)
2022-09-07 13:16:37 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:23:17

EDIT

Options
2022-09-14 23:26:55

@btx I appreciate the suggestion, but adding another router into the mix kind of defeats the reason I purchased this router.  I wanted a single device that would allow us to plug in a hotspot, which we already had, but didn't realize that the USB was limited to specific devices.

Since then, I purchased one of the approved devices, but alas, and I can't get that to work.  I think the challenge there is with the device or the network though, as the USB Modem doesn't connect when plugged into a computer either.

Options
2022-09-15 00:26:16 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:23:09

EDIT

Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 780

Replies: 3

Voters 5

+ 1 Voters