I'm sorta new to setting up network and need help deciding what to buy.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-12 17:17:41

Hello all. 

I've decided to take on the task on learning to set up a network and have some questions. First, background. Currently my network has 2 sites, my home and a vacation home. They are connected via VPN at all times. My buddy set up the entire network and I'm using a Meraki at both locations and connected via site - site VPN. The Meraki license is about to expire and I decided I wanted to learn to set this thing up by myself. I learn the best by actually doing it. 

I plan on buying the following for each location:

ER7206 VPN router

(2) EAP610 access points

(Possible) outdoor access point

TL-SG2428P PoE switch (I'll probably need 2 for my "home" location)

My main question is do I need just one OC200 hardware controller at the home location? Would it be best to have an OC200 at each site? I'm not necessarily worried about the $100 price if I have to buy two. I read you only need one controller at the "home" site, but since it's a home setup, both locations are dynamic IP's so I don't know if that makes it easier to manage having 2 controllers? 

I also looked at the cloud based controller and after a couple years, the cost would be more than buying 2 separate controllers (if needed). Is the cloud based setup wouth the money? Is it easier to do the site-to-site vpn (with dynamic IP's) using the cloud controller?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions. I guess I'm trying to plan out my purchase before I start buying all the stuff.. I've been watching many videos and reading a lot of articles about this. I know once I get going with this I'll learn pretty quick. I'm better at software development and know multiple languages, but I'm trying to expand my horizon. 

Yes, I know this is probably overkill for a home setup, but whatever. 

Thanks in advanced. 

Dave

Options
2 Reply
Re:I'm sorta new to setting up network and need help deciding what to buy.
2022-09-14 06:51:14

@dcf1999

There is no need to put a controller on every site. If it were me, I would only put a local controller where I am often, because I know that controllers can manage devices across sites.

As for Cloud-Based controllers, that's a matter of opinion and wisdom.
It's a new controller from tplink, and it's certainly attractive and desirable. If you don't want a local controller and want everything to be done from one computer and one website, then CBC is definitely the better option.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:I'm sorta new to setting up network and need help deciding what to buy.
2022-09-14 19:35:12

@dcf1999 

I agree with Virgo, its likely you will only need 1 controller for your network, however if $$ isnt an issue then crack on and buy two.   I have one customer who prefers both networks on their own controllers so all good...

In terms of what you are trying to achieve, your hardware selection looks perfect, perhaps overkill as you say but nothing wrong with that.

I personally am still not sold on cloud based controllers, granted perhaps im old hat at this but something re-assuring about having a physical box there working away and the cost is not feasible for anything but BIG setups.   There is no reason you cant have your physical controllers linked to the cloud if you choose, its handy for remote admin and monitoring via the Omada Cloud portal.

Anything else you need just ask and we will try to get back to you

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 295

Replies: 2