Feedback on positioning of AP.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-22 14:44:28
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.6

Hi All,

I'm looking for some guidance on the placement of my 2 EAP245s.  Currently I don't have one for floor 1 (basement), but I will look to get one at a later date.  Coverage down there is pretty good, and we don't really use it yet as we just moved in.  I'm currently looking to optimize coverage on the 2nd and 3rd floor. 

I setup the AP on floor 2 (main floor) like this, but as you can see in the picture below its facing the stair case going up, and it's 'back' is to the rest of the main floor - do these things transmit backwards too.  Based on how these things transmit, is it better to place it on the ceiling? 

For the 3rd floor (upstairs) - I can actually place the AP on the ceiling (if I can get through insulation to run a wire) or on the wall in the closet (much easier to install),.  Any suggestions on the best placement?  I have not mounted this one yet, it's on the floor of the primary bedroom.

Below are the floor plans, the blue stars are where there is Ethernet in the wall. 

Thanks!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Feedback on positioning of AP.
2022-09-23 06:23:55

@MannyF 

You are right the EAP cannot send signal to the "back" of the antenna.

I'm thinking that you can actually buy additional EAP245/EAP225 and set up Mesh network on floor 2/3

So you will still need to main root EAP in the blue star location(to have Ethernet connection to the router), then other 1-2 units as Mesh EAP to extend the wifi coverage.

For example on floor 2, you can put another EAP225 on the living room ceiling. This EAP225 only require Power, no need Ethernet connection to your main network. With Mesh function, it will work as an wireless extender of the existing EAP245 so the whole living room can enjoy better wifi signal.

How to Build a Mesh Network via Omada EAP in Your Home

Options
2022-09-23 13:31:10 - last edited 2022-09-23 14:09:41

If they are placed on the ceiling 10ft tall, about how wide would their coverage be?

Options
2022-09-23 16:29:35 - last edited 2022-10-13 10:12:50

EDIT

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 297

Replies: 3

Related Articles