Best way to connect 2 switches to ER605 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-09 04:57:48

I am getting ready to set up this new network and try Omada. My question is I have the ER605 router. I have 2 TL-SG2210MP switches. What is going to be the best way to connect this so that I can all the VLANs and the 2 different routers to communicate as they will both be in the same location. Should I connect them to different ports on the router or just chain them together? My main goal is for all of my VLANS to have access to my server and my security cameras. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Best way to connect 2 switches to ER605 router
2022-10-09 06:23:07

Ok I have read enough that I understand this better. Connection both switches to the router will enable all VLANs on both routers to communicate unless I specifically chose not to give some access to others. This does leave me with another question. If I did chain 2 switches together would it allow me to set up VLANs specific to the switch not connected to the router?

Options
2022-10-11 08:21:46

@robladw 

Generally speaking, VLAN settings are based on the entire network, so if you want a particular VLAN to work you need to make the corresponding settings on all devices.

Check this:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2149/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-10-13 06:17:35

@Virgo Thanks a lot. I have been reading on this the last couple of weeks. I think I have it mostly figured out. It has been a while since I have messed a lot with a managed network. I think that I have it mostly figured out now. Like I said I have been reading and refreshing all week.

Options
2022-10-13 18:52:28 - last edited 2022-10-13 18:57:23

@robladw   If you want the two LAN switches to create one common Ethernet network - so devices on one switch can see devices on the other switch etc. - then I would suggest to connect the switches together, so traffic within the LAN will be crossing only these LAN switches. Then connect one of the switches to the router LAN port - this way the router will be involved only in forwarding packets between your LAN and WAN/Internet - but not between separate LAN parts (which would be the case if the switches would be separately connected to the router). There is much more to it if you want to use multiple VLANs etc - but in the simplest scenario that would be the way to start. HTH

Options
2022-10-14 23:39:02

@Smok Thank you very much as well. Yes this is what I was struggling to decide. Reading the pros and cons of doing it both way. I really had to dig in kind of heavy to find out these modern switches should not require crossover cables since many switches are not marked with uplinks. All this new tech auto-negotiates. Yeah after reading up on it I have decided I was just going to go with 2 VLANs one guest network that will just be available on the access points and everything else on the same network. It is not that much I will ever have connected to it I just want to be able to keep the guest off and everything else with access to each other. Thank you for the response I had reached the same conclusion for the same reasons. It is simpler allows for more expansion if I ever need it. Thank you both for taking the time to respond and point me in the right direction.

Options