Seamless Roaming without Omada Controller?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-02 22:32:34 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:31
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi Friends.

Not a networks master, just trying to set up two EAP245's in my house and have them provide Seamless Roaming. Hoping to set up in "Standalone Mode" so I don't need to use the Omada Controller.

Will Seamless Roaming work if I simply set the exact SSID's on each EAP245? I've reviewed the EAP245 manual and don't see anything about Seamless Roaming.

Cheers.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Seamless Roaming without Omada Controller?
2022-11-03 06:08:20 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:16

@DonutPro 

1. No, Fast Roaming will only take effect when you have Omada Controller installed;

2. However for home usage, you can just set up same SSID/password for both EAP, so your devices can do roaming between the APs.

Fast Roaming is not really necessary.

Options
2022-11-03 19:55:00 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:16

@Somnus 

After configuring the two EAP245's can the Windows version of Omada Controller be shut down? I would think a business user would want it on all the time, I just dont need that much horsepower.

I am a home user and I think I don't need most of the advanced features that Omada provides. I just want basic security, Seamless Roaming, and that's about it.

@Somnus thank you for the response and the suggestion to match SSID/Passwords when two EAP245s are configured in standalone mode.

Options
2022-11-04 08:04:49 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:16

@DonutPro after roaming was released, it never worked. By that you probably do not lose anything by running eaps in standalone mode, you also do not need mesh. I would believe, you do not require controller.

If you have any SoC board, some receiver with linux or any other compatible device you can run controller there but as said previously, you do not require controller.

If you want to play and have roaming without controller, you could flash openwrt as it supports this model.

Options
2023-04-03 08:17:54 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:16

@DonutPro 

Yes, seamless roaming without the Omada Controller is possible with the EAP245. When setting up your networks, make sure that you have the same SSID and password configured across both devices. Ensure also that the same security settings are enabled and the same channel is used. You should also ensure the relevant devices support 802.11k/v/r protocol for seamless roaming.

Options
2023-04-08 06:52:27 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:16

@DonutPro 

Yes, you should be able to achieve roaming without using the Omada Controller. Make sure that both EAP245's are set to use the same SSID, security type, and password, then you should be able to have seamless roaming throughout your home. Keep in mind that you may need to adjust signal strength settings for optimal performance.

Options
2023-06-12 10:38:01 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:16

@VictorWalker 

I always thought you needed the controller for 'true' seamless roaming: 802.11k, r and v0

By just having the same SSID and password, there is a much longer pause because the client radio needs to pickup the best AP, and a whole new authentication handshake is needed on the 'roamed to' access point

With a controller, your client is given a token, a list of APs/channels and switchover is much faster. The controller needs to be up all the time as it maintains the list of valid tokens and available APs

Also, clients can tend to be 'sticky', and doggedly remain connected to an AP with poor signal even though a much better AP is available

Options
2023-06-12 19:01:13 - last edited 2023-08-22 12:23:16

@DonutPro Good feed back, thank you all. I have chosen to not use the controller as I don't want to leave a device on 24hrs. The install is at a location that is only used 20% of the time. Non mission critical. I have matched names and channels and it's worked fine. Can't really tell if devices are jumping from ap to ap, but the results I am having are acceptable. I will be installing a Home Assistant Yellow, so I'll look into running a controller on that.

Options