Seamless Roaming without Omada Controller?

2022-11-02 22:32:34
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi Friends.

Not a networks master, just trying to set up two EAP245's in my house and have them provide Seamless Roaming. Hoping to set up in "Standalone Mode" so I don't need to use the Omada Controller.

Will Seamless Roaming work if I simply set the exact SSID's on each EAP245? I've reviewed the EAP245 manual and don't see anything about Seamless Roaming.

Cheers.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Seamless Roaming without Omada Controller?
2022-11-03 06:08:20

@DonutPro 

1. No, Fast Roaming will only take effect when you have Omada Controller installed;

2. However for home usage, you can just set up same SSID/password for both EAP, so your devices can do roaming between the APs.

Fast Roaming is not really necessary.

Options
2022-11-03 19:55:00

@Somnus 

After configuring the two EAP245's can the Windows version of Omada Controller be shut down? I would think a business user would want it on all the time, I just dont need that much horsepower.

I am a home user and I think I don't need most of the advanced features that Omada provides. I just want basic security, Seamless Roaming, and that's about it.

@Somnus thank you for the response and the suggestion to match SSID/Passwords when two EAP245s are configured in standalone mode.

Options
2022-11-04 08:04:49

@DonutPro after roaming was released, it never worked. By that you probably do not lose anything by running eaps in standalone mode, you also do not need mesh. I would believe, you do not require controller.

If you have any SoC board, some receiver with linux or any other compatible device you can run controller there but as said previously, you do not require controller.

If you want to play and have roaming without controller, you could flash openwrt as it supports this model.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 151

Replies: 3

Related Articles