Hardware controller version 5.6.4 problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Hardware controller version 5.6.4 problems

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:Hardware controller version 5.6.4 problems
2022-11-14 18:53:02 - last edited 2022-11-15 12:37:34

@DannyZ

Hello,
Hard to say, as I said I only updated the OC300 firmware. The router firmware was up to date since it was published. So I think the error is coming from the controller, or a combination of both.
TP-Link definitely needs to improve here, I can't overthrow the whole network.
Options
2022-11-15 12:02:18

@DannyZ 

I use the Software controller that installed on Ubuntu VMs at my sites.

I was wondering if it associated with the controller that's on the  OC appliances. 

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2022-11-15 13:05:40 - last edited 2022-11-15 13:08:33

@DannyZ

Hello, I don't know if it was coincidence or if it is related to the problem.

I edited a client in IP reservation, changed the name and saved it.

Since then, all devices that have a reservation have received an IP again.

It's like I restarted the service at that moment.

@DannyZ can you confirm that?

Options
2022-11-15 13:41:08

@ThorstenStr that is an interesting observation!  I have also found that even though you upgrade the firmware and let the device do a typical reboot, sometimes you have to power down the device or devices in the network for everything to fall back into place.  Since the OC200 or OC300 has control of all devices, if it gets an update, its possible that some of the devices on the network may not get the memo that the controller is slightly different and that  may require a full re-adoption of the device for it to get back into sync between device and controller.  

I have had to do this twice in the past year.  Update looked like it was ok but not until I did a full power down of all devices and then powered them up to let everything re-adopt properly did my network start working again. 

Options
2022-11-15 14:14:22 - last edited 2022-11-15 14:16:41

@Fleegle61 

I have not restarted any of my devices. I just looked for a device in the configuration under DHCP reservation, edited it (name edited) and saved it. after that it took about 1 minute and all devices (all those in the reservation) got an IP address.

That's why I suspect that by changing the name I triggered something, which started the distribution again.

Options
2022-11-27 12:49:04

Update:
i noticed that not only IP reservations but also partially the DHCP itself is affected.
Whenever the lease has expired, no new IP address is assigned.
Only by changing the config (even if it is only the description text) the DHCP works again.
Since I run an Adguard, I let this now make the DHCP and reservation, since then my network runs for a week again without problems.

Options
2022-12-04 22:18:48

Just want to add to this thread that I've had a nightmare these past 3-4 days after I switched the power off for some wiring changes in my house and after that my network became unusable with the Omada controller reporting that 8 POE access points had been disconnected, all 3 POE cameras wouldn't connect but any devices that didn't lose power were still fine as they obviously didn't need to request an IP address.

The only way I could get the network back up and running was to remove all the 11 POE devices from the switch and reconnect them one at a time after each had recovered. Everything was still very flaky though as devices would randomly drop off the network and ever time the switch was rebooted the whole process started again. I must have spent over 10 hours trying to get to the bottom of this problem.

In the end I setup a DHCP server on my Linux server and manually entered all the static IP addresses again (100+) and the network has been running perfectly since.

Luckily this is in a home/office environment so no unhappy customers just unhappy family and a days work lost.

I really thought I investing in a good quality network infrastructure for my home but this has really dented my confidence in the system. My whole network now consists of 9 EAP Access points, a TL7206 V1 Router and a TL-SG3428MP Switch.

I have a ticket open with support at the moment and hopefully I'll get a call in the next few days to try to resolve this problem.

Options
2022-12-04 22:50:57

@neil-w 

yeah, I am still staying out on 4.4.6 even though I have a slightly annoying bug which was supposedly fixed. It has been working fine for most of the year with 3 eaps and about 60 clients. I've tried upgrading router to 1.2.1 within 3 days got dhcp issues and clashes. Reverted back to 1.1.1. Check other posts it is still being fixed. As you said I was hoping investing into a stable eco system but the new controller and firmwares this year seem to be far from it.

Options
Related Articles