Portal without authentication (with "agree to Terms of use"): What happens when Controller goes off?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Portal without authentication (with "agree to Terms of use"): What happens when Controller goes off?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-24 20:53:13
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.4 Build 20211021 Rel. 57494

Hello. I have several EAP245, and Controller v 4.4.6 on Raspberry pi 4 (2GB).

I just set up Guest Portal: i.e. guest network enabled, and portal enabled, with simple "click and go" with terms of service, nothing on ACL, nothing on firewall. It seems to be working fine: I tried on my own, and I see an authenticated user with decent data traffic, too. I assume blockage for all typically unwanted traffic (access to other subnets, client isolation) and necessary "allow" for portal, DHCP, DNS etc, are taken care of by clicking of guest-network ?

Anyway, now I was wondering what happens if the controller goes off accidentally. I read this page

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1041/

and am a bit confused. In the table, it looks like even if the controller goes off-line, the users are able to use the internet. But what's written at the bottom of the page in red sounds like it is no longer the case after July 2019: if the controller goes offline, the users can no longer get authenticated. Is that the case? I would prefer that the users can get on-line without the portal....

I would appreciate your info!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Portal without authentication (with "agree to Terms of use"): What happens when Controller goes off?
2022-11-25 09:27:19

@doremifajb 

When the controller is offline, the client can not use the portal.

You can use the portal settings under EAP standalone to achieve your needs.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Portal without authentication (with "agree to Terms of use"): What happens when Controller goes off?
2022-11-25 09:38:32

@Virgo 

Thank you for your reply! I meant that, in case the Controller is off-line, it would be nice if the users can access to the internet without portal. Does that work, or are the EAPs going to block it ?

And, I had thought that EAPs are allowed to either be "stand alone", or adopted to a controller. Is that right ? So if they are already adopted and if I want to keep using the feature available through Controller-based management, I can't use something that's available for Stand alone ? Or would that work ?

If the Portal is on each EAP, then this means the clients cannot roam without clicking "login" each time ?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 292

Replies: 2