How to troubleshoot failure of ER605 to connect to PPPoE WAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-28 00:09:56
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello,  After trying the normal items - CenturyLink Modem/Router into Bridge Mode, PPPoE User Name and Password obtained from CenturyLink, and a handful of other remedies recommended on the internet, BUPKIS.  In the logs observe the following warning:  ... failed to connect to the server because sending PADI times out.  What does this mean and what should I try to resolve?  Thank you and have a great day!

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to troubleshoot failure of ER605 to connect to PPPoE WAN
2022-11-30 03:58:31

@MarkTSchre 

This error message is most likely due to the VLAN ID.

If you have set a VLAN ID, try deleting it.
If you have not set a VLAN ID, contact your ISP to confirm that it should be set.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:How to troubleshoot failure of ER605 to connect to PPPoE WAN
2022-12-04 11:48:59

@Virgo You're correct that the VLAN ID needs to be set, in CenturyLink's case to 201.  Two key things about the setup that ultimately enabled success.

#1 - Removed the CenturyLink router (what their "technical support" insists on calling a modem).  With the fiber optic service the connection to the "modem" is already an Ethernet WAN cable and no additional modulation / demodulation is needed.  This is better than putting the CenturyLink router into Transparent Bridging.

#2 - For the ER605, I anticipated using for Load Balancing.  For whatever reason, setting up the second port as a WAN when not yet connected prevented the first WAN port from working with CenturyLink.  Load Balancing that completely shuts down the TP-Link router when 1 WAN isn't present isn't helpful, and I'll need to look at that separately.

Thank you for your help and have a great day!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1533

Replies: 2

Related Articles