Recommended routers and extenders for an IoT network for high active connections and scalability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Recommended routers and extenders for an IoT network for high active connections and scalability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-10 15:15:56

Dear all,

I'm looking for a solution for an internet of things network. This will have to be a highly scalable network where when more devices are added to the network we need to be able to simply add another extender. The number of connections is on the order of 100s - 1000s which all need to be able to connect to a central server. Here, I am focusing on active connections rather than speed / bandwidth as the required throughput is on the order of kbytes every minute or so.

The one mesh platform as provided by TP-Link is advantageous in this but which routers and extenders would be recommended for this solution.

Thank you in advanced.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Recommended routers and extenders for an IoT network for high active connections and scalability
2022-12-12 06:44:39

@ChiefyChief 

IoT devices won't use so much bandwidth, so it's not a problem for router. ER605 can handle 100 normal devices, ER7206 can handle more;

However if all of these IoT devices require wireless connection, you will need to pay more concern on wireless Access Points. From what I know, most of the IoT devices can only support 2.4Ghz.

And because of the limitation of 2.4Ghz, one AP can only connect limited client devices, for example one EAP can connect 30 2.4Ghz clients refer to this article:

How to choose EAP products

That means you will need to install many APs, maybe one AP for one room.

Note Mesh won't increase the wireless client numbers. For a Mesh network, the client device number depends on the main root AP, no matter how many mesh AP added to the network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 295

Replies: 1

Related Articles