Votes

Feature Request - Load Balancing - Omada Controller/ER605 Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-14 18:26:32 - last edited 2022-12-14 20:01:06
Tags: #load balancing
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1

A feature request that would be a game-changer for load balancing...

Most often when a home user or business has multiple WAN lines, the WAN's may vary in downstream/upstream speeds. For example, I have two active WAN connections, one is fiberoptic, the other is cable. The fiber line is 1000mbps up/down (symmetrical), while the cable connection is 1000mbps down/40mbps up. In order to effectively load balance between these two types of WAN connections, it would be nice to have the option within the firmware to route traffic OUT (upstream) 100% through the fastest connection, while balancing downstream between the 2 WAN interfaces. 

Bottom line - independent load balancing control of upstream/downstream traffic across multiple WANs would be hugely beneficial, especially in cases where one WAN has significantly more throughput over the other. I understand WAN traffic can be balanced based on ratios, to favor routing traffic predominantly over one WAN vs another, but having the option to route all upstream over a particlar WAN (unless that WAN connection goes down) would be beneficial. 

Thanks for considering!

- Chris 

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
2 Reply
Re:Feature Request - Load Balancing - Omada Controller/ER605 Router
2022-12-15 13:47:24

@Shoresy i can see this being difficult to implement as traffic that is sent out to the internet must come back in the same connection. E.g. if you ping google.com that goes out on the fibre WAN, it has to come back in on the fibre WAN otherwise if it hits the router from the cable WAN, it won't have a record in the list of connections of a connection being made on the cable WAN.

Maybe a policy route is better suited to filter specific traffic through a desired WAN connection depending what you're trying to do.

Options
Re:Feature Request - Load Balancing - Omada Controller/ER605 Router
2022-12-15 14:29:45
It seems that the load balancing ratio is likely the best way to handle a situation where one ISP has more throughput than the other. That way more weight can be given to the faster ISP to predominantly route traffic over the faster WAN.
Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 419

Replies: 2

Voters 1

Tags

load balancing