Airplay, mDNS and VLANs

Airplay, mDNS and VLANs

Airplay, mDNS and VLANs
Airplay, mDNS and VLANs
2022-12-19 21:11:22
Tags: #Airplay

Hello All,

I am new to Omada and SDNs. I have new set up with following hardware and all firmwares are upto-date

OC200 (firmware 2.7.7)

ER605 (version - 1.2.1)

TL-SG2210P (version 5.0.4)

EAP650 (version 1.0.3)

EAP653 (version - 1.0.1)

I have 3 VLANs and 

Secure - 1 (Management VLAN, phones and computers)

IoT - 20 (Apple TV, SONOS, LG TV)

Lab - 30 (servers)

What needs to be done?

I would like to airplay apple devices, LG TV and SONOS speakers from secure network. FYI - All devices are connected in WLAN

What do I need to do make this happen? Under mDNS I created a rule allowing IoT-Secure but I am still unable to find apple devices from my secure network. This slants me to believe there are some other configuration required for this to work or its not possible in Omada set up. Appreciate your assistance to identify the required confirguration. Let me know what additional details will help. Thanks

Al

Options
10 Reply
Re:Airplay, mDNS and VLANs
2022-12-20 05:52:18

@hiveal 

ER605 (version - 1.2.1) this firmware does not support mDNS repeater. However currently only ER7206 received the update, see this post:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/255644

Options
2023-01-01 08:11:55

@Somnus Happy New Year, apologies for the late response, my set up stopped working and in a pinch I had to revert back to my old setup and I was out of town. I purchased ER7206 v1 and updated to latest firmware 1.2.3. Still mDNS is not working as expected. Unable to control devices in IoT VLAN from secure VLAN. In mDNS setting added a rule with device type as "Gateway" and selected secure and IoT for networks. This doesnt seems to do the trick, which aludes me to believe there is more with regards to the setting that I might be missing. I have not set up any ACLs or firewall rules across my step up to test mDNS, if they need to be set let me know. 

Another behaviour I noticed (not related to the topic discussed here) is, wifi 6 devices (iPad pro 3 Gen, 4 x Windows PCs) not connecting to 6 GHZ band ( AP - EAP650v1 Version 1.0.3). I have enabled band steering but it does not seem to do the trick. Radio settings are in auto mode. Devices always connect to AC and not AX. Is this a known issue?

Options
2023-01-02 06:59:28

@hiveal 

Happy new year!

I don't have ER7206 but I saw some people are discussing the same thing:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/593654?replyId=1164094

Per Hank21 it will be solved in next firmware.

For the 2nd question, you may note EAP650 supports Wi-Fi 6 does not mean it also supports Wi-FI 6E.

6Ghz is only available on Wi-FI 6E Access Points like EAP690E.

Sad things is that I still cannot find anywhere to purchase this model..

Options
2023-01-02 17:21:29
@somnus Thanks for the quick reply. The issue was driving me nuts. For this issue to be addressed, I purchased ER7202 which is $100 more than than ER605 which I believe the mDNS function is in beta release based on a Reddit thread, should I keep ER7202 or ER605? Might not be an easy question to answer, I’m trying to justify the cost and would like to hear your comment if any.
Options
2023-01-02 23:45:02
@somnus I have opened a ticket with TP-Link support and the issue has been escalated to Senior Engineering team, will update the thread with follow up information.
Options
2023-01-16 17:43:32

@hiveal Bad news, friend.  They're not interested in updating v1 anymore.  They've released firmware for the ER-605 v2 and v1 users are being left behind.  Don't ask about it though, they'll ban you for bringing it up.

Options
2023-06-24 00:56:39
Ahh so thats whats happening Sweet that makes my decision a whole lot easier to leave and build our next house with Ubiquity at the end of the year.
Options
2023-12-04 21:03:21
did you ever get SONOS working across vlans? thanks for any update!
Options
2023-12-05 08:00:56

@hiveal 

To airplay Apple devices, LG TV, and SONOS speakers from your secure network in an Omada setup, you'll need to configure the mDNS repeater feature. Here are the steps you can follow:

1. Open the Omada SDN Controller and go to Settings > Services > mDNS.
  2. Click on "+ Create New Rule" to create a new mDNS forwarding rule.
  3. Specify the parameters such as rule name, status, device type, network/VLAN for mDNS request/reply packets, and the services to be forwarded.
  4. Make sure to enable the rule for the IoT VLAN (VLAN 20) and the Secure VLAN (VLAN 1) to allow communication between them.
  5. Save the configuration and apply the changes.

Note that mDNS rules for access points (APs) and gateways are mutually exclusive, so ensure that you have the correct settings for your devices.

If you still encounter issues, you may need to check if IGMP snooping is enabled on your network devices and if there are any permit policies blocking the communication. Additionally, make sure that all devices are connected to the WLAN and that their firmware is up-to-date.

Options
2023-12-05 09:08:02

Hi @bagelboss 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

bagelboss wrote

did you ever get SONOS working across vlans? thanks for any update!

Try out the troubleshooting in the router section?

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/794

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1887

Replies: 10

Tags

Airplay