how to extend strength from house to bard with eap225 outdoor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-28 16:44:04
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We installed a EAP-225 oudoor AC1200 on our house roof.  It provides decent coverage around the backyard, but we only have coverage just inside our metal barn, by the walk in door.  What would we purchase to take that signal and spread it out through out the barn, main floor and upstairs.  2 floors and each floor is 1200 sq ft. 

Thanks,  Doug W. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:how to extend strength from house to bard with eap225 outdoor
2022-12-29 01:04:01 - last edited 2022-12-29 14:28:34

Hey Doug - you would likely benefit from purchasing additional EAP-225 outdoor units and placing them in areas where you're not currently getting sufficient Wifi coverage. The EAP225's support mesh and wireless roaming, so as long as one EAP225 is in range of another, it can "mesh" with your existing EAP225 and spread that signal into other areas of your property or residence.

If you want an enterprise-level solution to expanding wifi coverage, the best bet is to run a patch data cable (cat5e/6) from the access points (EAP225's) directly back to the main router. This isn't always possible because running wires can involve a lot of work/modification to structures or outdoor areas, but it's the best way to achieve strong/wide wifi coverage in a larger area. Otherwise, the EAP225's have decent range for wireless mesh. Keep in mind that the farther they are from each other, the less reliable they'll be for spreading your signal out to longer distances.

Hybrid OPNsense/Omada EAP Cat6 backhaul 4 x EAP670 1 x EAP610-Outdoor Omada Controller v5.14.0.10 Win 11 Router: OPNsense Intel N5105 quad-core I226V 2.5Gbe w/16GB RAM Dual WAN Fios/Spectrum 1Gbps
Options
Re:how to extend strength from house to bard with eap225 outdoor
2022-12-29 09:53:41 - last edited 2022-12-29 09:57:16

@Dougwor  Is the speed of the connection important to you at the second building? If so then keep in mind that with MESH you will lose some of that performance and when you add hops in (one wireless AP connecting to (through) another wireless AP), you will lose more. My network consists of 4 EAP225 Outdoor and 1 EAP610 Outdoor as the wired AP. Each 225 is linked wirelessly to the EAP610 individually (no additional hops). They are all clear line of sight and in close proximity. The setup only delivers about 1/4 of our Gigabit service on a good day. 

I would concentrate on setting up wifi in the second building. Install a wireless router and then add APs at various locations inside, wiring as many of them as possible. Then use a Point to Point solution to link the house and second location, one unit wired to home router and second wired to second locations router. Two CPE710s or CPE510s will work if your service is around 500Mbps or less. I cannot speak for the CPE510 setup but I had two CPE710s setup as my PTP and found they only deliver about 1/2 of their 800Mbps specified ability. I replaced those with Ubiquiti Gigabeams and get full gigabit performance at my remote location but they are a more expensive solution.

Options